'Philippines in Focus' - Contingent Breadwinners: Precarious Livelihoods of Left-Behind Family Members of Filipino Victims of Trafficking - Seminar # 4
The fourth and final 'Philippines in Focus' event, an initiative of La Trobe Asia
- Thursday 10 November 2022 02:00 pm until Thursday 10 November 2022 03:00 pm (Add to calendar)
- La Trobe Asia
- Presented by:
- Associate Professor Sallie Yea
- Type of Event:
- Seminar/Workshop/Training; Public
The fourth and final 'Philippines in Focus' event, an initiative of La Trobe Asia.
This seminar will be presented byAssociate Professor Sallie Yea, Tracey Banivanua Mar Principal Research Fellow, Department of Social Inquiry, La Trobe University
This seminar examines the contingent roles left-behind women perform in the absence of migrant men. I argue that the financial and relational effects of migrant worker exploitation produce contingent breadwinning amongst left-behind women. I draw on data from a study of human trafficking and forced labour in the offshore fishing industry to make my arguments.
The 'Philippines in Focus' seminar series will highlight Philippine related research at La Trobe University from all disciplines, allowing conversation and analysis on specialised topics with academics and experts.
You can choose to join us for one, two or more seminars on the Philippines
Each seminar will have a 45 min presentation followed by 15 min Q&A.
An initiative of La Trobe Asia supported by a donation from the Philippine Consulate General in Australia and the Philippine Government to advance Philippine studies at La Trobe University.
Other events by type
- Animal Companionship and LGBTQ People’s Health and Wellbeing.
31 Mar 2023 4:00 pm
- Anthropocene Reading Group - Between Facticity and Normativity
4 Apr 2023 1:00 pm
- Papua New Guinea Midwifery Leadership Buddy Program
5 Apr 2023 12:30 pm
- LiDs Online Seminar Series
12 Apr 2023 3:00 pm
- The Assessment & Management of Running Injuries Symposium
14 Apr 2023 3:30 pm