Online Seminar: “Blessed by the Goddess of the Sea” --- An Oral History of the Journey to Australia after the Vietnam War of Vietnamese Immigrants of Chinese Descent
China Studies Research Centre Online Seminar Series
- Thursday 21 May 2020 03:00 pm until Thursday 21 May 2020 04:30 pm (Add to calendar)
- China Studies Research Centre
- Presented by:
- Dr Yangbin Chen
- Type of Event:
“Mazu” (妈祖) or “A Po” (阿婆) is the name of Chinese sea goddess at the centre of a host of beliefs and customs, including oral traditions, religious ceremonies and folk practices.
In 2019 and early 2020 Dr Yangbin Chen and Dr Yi-Han Lin conducted a trail-blazing oral history research project in Melbourne and Sydney. They interviewed community leaders, mainly ethnic Chinese from Vietnam, many of whom were once “boat people” who had fled to Australia during the late 1970s to early 1990s. After resettling, they pioneered the building of Mazu Temples and spreading Mazu culture.
In this seminar, Dr Chen and Dr Lin will retell the stories of these boat people’s struggles from the perspective of Mazu folk religion and culture. The presentation aims to address questions such as “Who is this group of people?” “How did they arrive at Australia”, and “What is the role of the Mazu folk religion and culture in their life?”
About the Speakers
Dr Yangbin Chen (Chinese Program, School of Humanities and Social Sciences, La Trobe University) and Dr Yi-Han Lin (Agriculture Victoria Research, State Government of Victoria & President of Mazu Culture Association Inc. Australia).
How to join the seminar via Zoom:
Join from a PC, Mac, iOS or Android: https://latrobe.zoom.us/j/3484666015?pwd=R0NYUmN3UEdhTmZJb1VyYlNpWVU5Zz09
We will send you the password after registration.
Dial: +61 2 8015 2088
Meeting ID: 348 466 6015
Click "View Now" in your confirmation email after you have registered, then click the screen icon.
La Trobe University
Other events by type
- Classroom teaching for mixed mode cohorts
20th Jan 2021 12:30pm
- LMS design for effective mixed mode learning
20th Jan 2021 2:30pm
- HIV and Hepatitis Pre and Post Test Discussion - A short course for infection prevention and control practitioners
11th Feb 2021
- Understanding the impediments to uptake and diffusion of take-home naloxone in Australia: Report launch and findings from a large qualitative study
17th Feb 2021 4:00pm
- Responding to disclosures (webinar)
5th May 2021 10:00am