Maintaining Stability in a Volatile Region: a Japanese Perspective
A conversation with respected Japanese scholar Tsuruoka Michito.
- Monday 11 November 2019 06:30 pm until Monday 11 November 2019 07:30 pm (Add to calendar)
- La Trobe Asia
firstname.lastname@example.org; 03 9479 5414
- Presented by:
- La Trobe Asia
- Type of Event:
- Public Lecture
Japan’s national security is rapidly changing. Asia is shifting from an era of prosperity and peace to one of contestation and rivalry between powerful leaders. North Korea has grown emboldened and appears no closer to denuclearisation than when Kim Jong Un embraced dialogue with US President, Donald Trump, in 2017. Xi Jinping’s China is more confident, assertive and nationalistic than ever, and there is fresh uncertainty about Japan’s security partner, the United States.
In this challenging security environment, Japan has signalled a desire to change its foreign and defence policy to secure greater regional and global influence. What role is it seeking to play in Prime Minister Abe’s vision of a Free and open Indo-Pacific? How will it establish and maintain space for itself in the region? What are the prospects for closer security cooperation between Australia and Japan?
- Associate Professor Tsuruoka Michito (Graduate School of Media and Governance at Keio University, formerly Senior Research Fellow at the National Institute for Defense Studies, Tokyo).
- Dr Euan Graham, (Executive Director, La Trobe Asia, La Trobe University).
A La Trobe Asia event supported by the Consulate General of Japan in Melbourne
Free tea/coffee and homemade biscuits will be available on arrival before the event begins at 6.30pm.
Theatrette (Entry 3 off La Trobe Street) State Library of Victoria La Trobe Street Melbourne, VIC 3000
Other events by type
- Online event: How can responses to COVID 19 lead to new business and service opportunities?
28th May 2020 4:00pm
- Online event: Domestic Violence at the Time of the COVID-19 Shutdown
2nd Jun 2020 5:00pm
- Webinar: Breakfast at Noon - Michelle Gallaher, CEO at Opyl
9th Jun 2020 12:00pm
- Living with Disability Research Centre Research Seminar Series
10th Jun 2020 3:00pm
- Gendering homelessness: from the margins to the centre
17th Jun 2020 4:00pm