Dr Julia Polak of Melbourne University discusses how Kaggle-in-class data challenges can boost student learning.
- Thursday 30 May 2019 12:00 pm until Thursday 30 May 2019 01:00 pm (Add to calendar)
- Andriy Olenko
03 9479 2609; A.Olenko@latrobe.edu.au
- Presented by:
- Dr Julia Polak, University of Melbourne
- Type of Event:
- Current Student: Undergraduate; Current Student: Postgraduate; Public
Kaggle is a data modeling competition service, where participants compete to build a model with lower predictive error than other participants. Several years ago they released a reduced service that enables instructors to run competitions in a classroom setting.
This paper describes the results of an experiment to determine if participating in a predictive modeling competition enhances learning.
The evidence suggests it does. In addition, students were surveyed to examine if the competition improved engagement and interest in the class
Room 310, Physical Sciences 2
La Trobe University, Melbourne Campus
Other events by type
8th Jul 2019 10:00am
- How to write your Aspire application
20th Aug 2019 6:00pm
- Human Genetic Technology: Opportunities, anxieties and the future
21st Aug 2019 5:45pm
- La Trobe Classics in the City 2019: Cleopatra VII from Alexandria to Hollywood
22nd Aug 2019 6:00pm
- Open Day Sydney Campus
22nd Aug 2019 4:00pm