Is the Democratic Dream of Hong Kong Over?
A live Asia Rising Podcast recording
- Wednesday 17 February 2021 06:00 pm until Wednesday 17 February 2021 07:00 pm (Add to calendar)
- La Trobe Asia
- Presented by:
- Antony Dapiran
- Type of Event:
- Public Lecture; Public
Hong Kong has transformed in the course of a year. In mid-2020 a new Beijing-drafted security law was imposed on the territory, aimed at protestors and independent media. Many feared it would have disastrous effects for the democracy movement.
This dramatically escalated in January 2021, when 50 pro-democracy figures, a mix of activists, lawyers and law makers, were arrested and accused of subversion for holding primaries for pro-democracy candidates for Hong Kong elections.
This makes political participation in Hong Kong dangerous, if not futile, and with rights and freedoms diminishing under Beijing’s vast national security apparatus, is the democratic dream of Hong Kong over?
Guest: Antony Dapiran is a Hong Kong-based writer and lawyer, and the author of the book City on Fire: The Fight for Hong Kong.
Host: Matt Smith
Other events by type
- La Trobe Classics in the City 2021
30th Sep 2021
- Regional security after the Taliban takeover
21st Oct 2021 2:00pm
- Moving inland: Regional migration during COVID and beyond
21st Oct 2021 5:30pm
- Biomedical Industry Primer: Research/Industry Collaboration for Impact
27th Oct 2021 4:00pm
- The AUKUS Deal: Regional Security in the Indo-Pacific
27th Oct 2021 5:30pm