Geo-Spatial Data for Smart Cities
The fifth monthly webinar in the series presented by the IIT Kanpur-La Trobe University Research Academy in collaboration with ASCRIN
- Tuesday 31 May 2022 01:30 pm until Tuesday 31 May 2022 02:30 pm (Add to calendar)
- ASCRIN and IIT Kanpur-La Trobe University Research Academy
- Presented by:
- Asian Smart Cities Research Innovation Network
- Type of Event:
- Public Lecture; Public
Smart cities require geospatial data for several applications, like:
- Master planning
- Solar energy estimation and PV installation
- City forest characterization and planning
- Traffic planning including autonomous vehicles
- New infrastructure planning and alignment
- Disaster preparedness and response, etc.
Geospatial data are available through satellite, aerial platforms, drones, and ground surveys. The recent past has seen much advancement in data generation and data presentation. The tools of GIS for data archiving, analysis, decision support, and presentation are now commonly used for smart cities. All this is finally culminating in 3D digital twins of cities, where we start looking into our cities and their physical and anthropogenic processes the way they happen, i.e., in 3D environments simulated within our computers. This facilitates solving several city problems and finding new applications, e.g., modern application of drone delivery.
The panel will focus on addressing how geospatial data and its management can help smart cities.
- Dr Ruma Chakrabarty Shukla, Senior Manager for Urban Programs, ESRI India
- Brian Nicholls, Managing Director, AAM, a Woolpert Company
- Professor Bharat Lohani, Department of Civil Engineering, IIT Kanpur
Associate Professor Zhen He - School of Computing, Engineering and Mathematical Sciences, La Trobe University
Other events by type
- Living with Disability Research Centre Research Seminar Series
13th Jul 2022 3:00pm
- Introduction to Family Therapy
14th Jul 2022 9:30am
- Violet Vines Marshman Annual Oration
14th Jul 2022 5:00pm
- Family is complicated: What does this mean for supporting families and people living with HIV, hepatitis C, or hepatitis B?
20th Jul 2022 4:00pm
- Evidence Based Urban Governance: Water
21st Jul 2022 4:30pm