Event cancelled: Flip the Script - July Program
Due to the current situation with COVID-19 the University has advised that all non-essential meetings and trainings are to be postponed. This means that unfortunately we are unable to run the Flip the Script Program on the dates we had initially planned. While alternative dates are still to be confirmed at this point, we would encourage you to express your interest in participating in the program once we are able to run workshops again by emailing us at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Wednesday 01 July 2020 08:30 am until Wednesday 08 July 2020 04:00 pm (Add to calendar)
- The Speak Up Team
03 9479 8988; email@example.com
- Presented by:
- Speak Up Facilitators
- Type of Event:
The Enhanced Assess, Acknowledge, Act (EAAA) program, or ‘Flip the Script’, is designed to empower self-identifying women, including trans women and non-binary, to resist acquaintance sexual assault and to trust their judgment when their sexual safety is threatened.
The 12-hour course touches briefly on best feminist practices for self-defense, how to negotiate the things that women want or need in a sexual scenario and challenges rape myths whilst framing agency and freedom from violence as a right that women can claim.
Women who participate in the program can expect to learn;
- That they are at greatest risk of sexual assault from men they know, not from strangers
- To improve their capacity to detect risk in men’s behaviour and in the environment
- Help overcome the emotional and social barriers to acknowledging these risks
- Debunk rape myths and woman-blaming
- Challenge the belief that women cannot successfully defend themselves against a (larger) male perpetrator
- The most effective tools for resisting sexual coercion and sexual assault
- That sexual violence is always the fault of the perpetrator and never the fault of the survivor
The program will be delivered in 3 hours sessions, with two sessions each day.
Date: Wednesday, 1st July
Time: 8:30am - 4:00pm
Room: DW 115
Date: Wednesday 8th July
Time: 9:00am - 4:00pm
Room: DW 115
Note: Attendance is required at all four sessions to complete the training program. Registration at the first session is mandatory, and opens 30 minutes before the session begins.
"The program was recommended to me by a friend in my halls of residence and I would certainly recommend it myself. Having experienced sexual harassment, I was worried the session would be too confronting. However, the facilitators handled the difficult subject matter perfectly, meaning I was able to engage with the sessions and leave them feeling empowered. I am so grateful for this program, allowing women to appreciate their strength and feel more confident in their safety."
Questions about participating in the program? For more information, check out the website www.latrobe.edu.au/speakup/flipthescript or contact the team at firstname.lastname@example.org
Donald Whitehead Building La Trobe University Melbourne Campus
Other events by type
- Classroom teaching for mixed mode cohorts
20th Jan 2021 12:30pm
- LMS design for effective mixed mode learning
20th Jan 2021 2:30pm
- HIV and Hepatitis Pre and Post Test Discussion - A short course for infection prevention and control practitioners
11th Feb 2021
- Understanding the impediments to uptake and diffusion of take-home naloxone in Australia: Report launch and findings from a large qualitative study
17th Feb 2021 4:00pm
- International Women's Day 2021
8th Mar 2021