Education and the politics of identity in East Asia today
This webinar is jointly organised by La Trobe and Kyushu Universities as part of Kyushu University's 'Asia Week' program of events.
- Wednesday 09 September 2020 05:00 pm until Wednesday 09 September 2020 06:00 pm (Add to calendar)
- La Trobe Asia
- Presented by:
- La Trobe Asia and Kyushu University
- Type of Event:
- Public Lecture; Seminar/Workshop/Training; Public
Despite their diverse histories and cultures, common tensions characterize debates about identity and nationhood across the Asia-Pacific. Homogenous visions of identity and nationhood sit uneasily alongside notions of citizenship that embrace cultural and ethnic diversity. In many societies, rising inequality feeds fear and resentment of immigrants, and legacies or memories of empire and colonialism have also fuelled resentment of foreign interference or ‘hegemony’. In stories of nationhood, what is forgotten or avoided is just as important as what is remembered.
What role, then, does education play in shaping ideas of identity and nationhood across the contemporary Asia-Pacific? To what extent are citizens taught to see political identity as something diverse and complex, and what are the implications of different approaches to citizenship education? And, should we see education as a potential tool for promoting national reconciliation, or as a dangerous weapon for inciting hatred and division?
Professor Tzu-Bin Lin (Associate Vice-President for Academic Affairs, National Taiwan Normal University)
Professor Edward Vickers (Professor of Comparative Education, Kyushu University)
Professor Kaori Okano (Professor of Japanese Studies/Asian Studies, School of Humanities & Social Sciences, La Trobe University)
Dr Rebecca Strating (Executive Director - La Trobe Asia, La Trobe University)
Ask your questions during the event on Slido - Event code: # J774
This webinar is jointly organised by La Trobe and Kyushu Universities as part of Kyushu University's 'Asia Week' program of events. 'Asia Week' features a series webinars sharing the latest Asia-related research conducted by scholars at Kyushu University in collaboration with the university’s overseas partners.
Other events by type
- Webinar: Breakfast at Noon - Emma Reid, CISCO Networking Academy
8th Dec 2020 12:00pm
- Living with Disability Research Centre Research Seminar Series
9th Dec 2020 3:00pm
- PhD Pre-Submission Progress review talk
9th Dec 2020 12:00pm
- Pandemic Intimacies: Gay and bisexual men mediating intimacy during the coronavirus conjuncture
16th Dec 2020 4:00pm
- 2020 Annual Agnes Heller Sociology Lecture - How Memory Survives: Descendants of Auschwitz survivors and the progenic tattoo
17th Dec 2020 6:30pm