China and the South China Sea Dispute: Issues and Challenges
China Studies Research Centre Seminar Series
- Wednesday 01 August 2018 06:00 pm until Wednesday 01 August 2018 07:30 pm (Add to calendar)
- China Studies Research Centre
- Presented by:
- Professor Nick Bisley, Dr Bec Strating and Professor Baogang He
- Type of Event:
- $25 General / $20 La Trobe University Staff and Alumni / $15 Students
In this panel discussion, three experts will address a range of questions on this important and timely topic: Is the South China Sea dispute a great power flash point or just a regional irritant? Is China’s approach to the South China Sea dispute undermining the prevailing security order? What are the roles and functions of regional institutions in the dynamics of US-China competition in the South China Sea? Can the US and China find some middle ground between their competing interests in the South China Sea? What pathways to dispute resolution might be available through the United Nations that might have applications in the South China Sea dispute?
Professor Nick Bisley, Head, Humanities and Social Sciences, College of Arts, Social Sciences and Commerce, La Trobe University, is a specialist in Asia's international relations, great power politics and Australian foreign and defence policy.
Dr Bec Strating, Lecturer in the Department of Politics and Philosophy, College of Arts, Social Sciences and Commerce, La Trobe University, is a specialist in foreign policy, maritime disputes, small states and middle powers.
Professor Baogang He, Alfred Deakin Professor and Chair in International Relations at Deakin University, is widely known for his research in Chinese democratization and politics. He has also recently conducted research on security regionalism, focusing on the South China Sea debate.
La Trobe University City Campus, 360 Collins Street, Melbourne
Other events by type
- Webinar: Communication for Student Success
20th Feb 2019 12:00pm
- The 132 visa, Immigration and Changing Business Models: The Untold “Chinese" Stories behind Australia’s Booming Wine Export to China
20th Feb 2019 11:00am
- Introduction to Teaching and Learning (Bundoora)
21st Feb 2019 9:30am
- LGBT rights: Moving towards a “global equality in 21st Century”
27th Feb 2019 1:00pm
- Public Health Seminar: The developmental pathway to alcohol use: From exposure to consideration to action
27th Feb 2019 1:00pm