Celebrating 40 years of Social Work at La Trobe
Social work is celebrating 40 years of Social Work at La Trobe University in November 2017.
- Tuesday 21 November 2017 05:00 pm until Tuesday 21 November 2017 09:00 pm (Add to calendar)
- Alumni and Advancement
- Presented by:
- School of Allied Health
- Type of Event:
- Current Student: Undergraduate; Current Student: Postgraduate; Alumni; Community Event
- Free but registrations are essential
The first students in Social Work at La Trobe University started in 1977 and during the last 40 years, nearly 4000 social workers have received their education at Bundoora.
To celebrate this 40 year milestone, the Department of Community and Clinical Allied Health invites you to attend a special lecture featuring a panel discussion on ‘Where is social work heading?’. Our panel will explore social work in Australia throughout the last 40 years, reflections on some of the university’s own social work milestones and future challenges for social work in Australia.
Our panel, including past and present students, will also engage in a discussion tackling the challenges of social work in the future. The panel will be chaired by Professor Catherine Itsiopoulos, Head of School, Allied Health.
Speakers will include:
- John Dewar – Professor, Vice-Chancellor and President of La Trobe University
- Minister Jenny Mikakos – Minister for Families and Children, for Youth Affairs and for Early Childhood Education in Victoria
- Lesley Chenoweth AO – Inaugural Professor of Social Work, Griffith University
- Glenda Kerridge - President AASW Victoria
- Magnus Tideman – Professor and Discipline Lead Social Work and Social Policy, La Trobe University
- Margarita Frederico – Professor, La Trobe University
- Christine Bigby – Professor, Director of Living with Disability Research Centre, La Trobe University
- Maureen Long – Senior Lecturer, Social Work Course Coordinator, La Trobe University
This event will offer the opportunity to network and reconnect with fellow social work alumni and current students and staff throughout the evening.
Date: Tuesday, 21 November 2017
Time: 6:00-9:00pm (Registration from 5:00pm) Light refreshments will be provided
Location: Western Lecture Theatres, La Trobe University, Bundoora
Western Lecture Theatre
Western Lecture Theatres, La Trobe University, Bundoora
Other events by type
29th May 2018
- Exhibiting Culture New Histories
2nd Jul 2018
- Accelerator Program Informational Forum - Shepparton
3rd Jul 2018 5:30pm
- Artist Forum: Exhibiting Culture: New Histories
4th Jul 2018 11:00am
- 2018 Parliamentary Alumni Network Event
9th Jul 2018 12:00pm