Celebrate National Science Week 2019 at La Trobe Art Institute
This special STEAM program open to schools and the general public will explore complex scientific phenomena through the lens of visual art.
- Wednesday 14 August 2019 12:30 pm until Wednesday 14 August 2019 02:30 pm (Add to calendar)
- La Trobe Art Institute
5444 7272; firstname.lastname@example.org
- Presented by:
- Dr Katherin Seaton & Travis Curtin
- Type of Event:
- Future Student: Secondary school; Public
FREE - Open to the Public, School Bookings Welcome
Participants will be guided through our current exhibition Autoluminescent with the exhibition curator Travis Hodgson and then introduced to the physics behind the phenomena by La Trobe University Associate Professor of Mathematics and Statistics, Dr Katherine Seaton.
Incidentally, Dr Seaton also creates mathematical fibre art, sometimes producing plastic yarn (plarn) from shopping bags to knit and crochet with. Her cross-disciplinary approach provides audiences with a practical example of the benefits of bringing Art and Science together.
La Trobe University Artist in Residence Sarah Goffman will then give an insight into her innovative use of recycled plastics. Sydney based Goffman, has an imaginative practice, delighting in the everyday details of our material existence. Plastic, over-abundant and infinitely variable, has formed the foundation of her artistic output over the last 20 years.
Science Week is Australia’s annual celebration of science and technology and thousands of individuals – from students, to scientists to chef, artists and musicians – get involved, taking part in more than 1000 science events across the nation.
Science Week is designed for everyone – it’s definitely not restricted to schools and universities – with events and activities and talks and shows for every age group.
Image: Bridge to Asia (detail) by Sarah Goffman at Murray Art Museum Albury 2019
La Trobe Art Institute
121 View Street, Bendigo
Other events by type
- Online event: Future Students - Shepparton Business Webinar
6th Jul 2020 5:30pm
- Online event: Digital marketing - success in a virtual landscape Webinar
7th Jul 2020 5:30pm
- Living with Disability Research Centre Research Seminar Series
8th Jul 2020 3:00pm
- Online event: Jobs of the future - Why there is no better time to upskill than during the COVID-19 crisis
8th Jul 2020 6:00pm
- Online event: Growing up Asian in Australia
8th Jul 2020 5:00pm