Australia’s low-carbon opportunity: A conversation with Ross Garnaut
Join us for a conversation with Professor Ross Garnaut as he discusses the topics raised in his new book Super-Power: Australia’s Low-Carbon Opportunity.
- Wednesday 04 March 2020 01:00 pm until Wednesday 04 March 2020 02:00 pm (Add to calendar)
- Irene Manzo and Professor Lawrie Zion
03 9479 5619
- Presented by:
- Professor Lawrie Zion
- Type of Event:
- Public Lecture
In 2008, Professor Ross Garnaut predicted in his Climate Change Review that that Australia would soon experience more intense fire seasons. ‘This effect increases but should be directly observable by 2020,’ the report said, 12 years before the country experienced its worst ever bushfire season.
In his new book, Super-Power: Australia’s Low-Carbon Opportunity, Garnaut says that while the fog of politics on climate change has obscured a fateful reality, Australia has the potential to be an economic superpower of the future post-carbon world.
What are these opportunities? And what needs to happen for them to be realised? To explore these and other questions about climate change and Australia’s future, please join us for a conversation with Professor Ross Garnaut, to be hosted by Professor Lawrie Zion.
Ross Garnaut is Professorial Research Fellow in Economics at the University of Melbourne. In 2008, he produced the Garnaut Climate Change Review for the Australian government. He is the author of many books, including the bestselling Dog Days (2013).
All staff and students are welcome.
The event is supported by La Trobe’s newly formed Climate Network, the Transforming Human Societies Research Focus Area, and the Centre for the Study of the Inland.
Eastern Lecture Theatre 1
Eastern Lecture Theater, La Trobe University Melbourne Campus
Other events by type
- We need to talk about wellbeing and education: Critical perspectives and new opportunities webinar
5th Nov 2020 6:00pm
- Online event: Into Deep Water Discovering History
5th Nov 2020 5:30pm
- Online event: COVID-19 and the Pandemic of Denial
10th Nov 2020 5:00pm
- Webinar: Breakfast at Noon - Holly Cardew, Founder of Pixc and Vop
10th Nov 2020 12:00pm
- 10th Behavioural Finance and Capital Markets Conference
11th Nov 2020 8:50am