Australian Relations With China and Japan
A panel event with Australian Ambassadors to China and Japan, Graham Fletcher and Richard Court
- Thursday 12 September 2019 01:00 pm until Thursday 12 September 2019 02:00 pm (Add to calendar)
- La Trobe Asia
03 9479 5414 ; email@example.com
- Presented by:
- La Trobe Asia
- Type of Event:
- Public Lecture
China and Japan are two of Australia’s most important relationships in Asia. In terms of the economic relationship, China has long since overtaken Japan as a trade partner, but investment from Japan still outweighs that from China. Japan is also a major security partner of Australia and common ally of the United States, while China was upgraded to a "comprehensive strategic partner” in 2014.
Canberra strives to maintain positive relations with both countries, even when there are tensions between Tokyo and Beijing.
In this La Trobe Asia event, Mr Graham Fletcher (Australian Ambassador to China) and The Honorable Richard Court AC (Australian Ambassador to Japan) will discuss the main facets of Australia’s bilateral relations with their respective host countries, identifying strengths and weaknesses, as well outlining how relations are seen from Beijing and Tokyo.
- Mr Graham Fletcher is the newly appointed Australian Ambassador to China who recently served as the head of the Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade's North Asia division. He is fluent in Mandarin.
- The Honorable Richard Court AC is the Australian Ambassador to Japan and served as the Premier of Western Australia from 1993-2001.
- Dr Euan Graham is the Executive Director of La Trobe Asia (Chair)
Boardroom, Level 20, La Trobe University City Campus 360 Collins st Melbourne, VIC 3000
Other events by type
- Democracy in Hong Kong: A Challenging Road Ahead
18th Feb 2020 6:00pm
- Australia’s low-carbon opportunity: A conversation with Ross Garnaut
4th Mar 2020 1:00pm
- Australian Muslim Artists Exhibition (Opening & Floor Talk)
14th Mar 2020 2:00pm
- Culture Conversations: A world without the death penalty
18th Mar 2020 7:00pm