Artist Talk: Wukun Wanambi
Join Yolngu artist Wukun Wanambi and curator Kade McDonald as they chat with Travis Hodgson, Curator of LAI’s current exhibition Miwatj.
- Wednesday 13 June 2018 05:30 pm until Wednesday 13 June 2018 07:00 pm (Add to calendar)
- La Trobe Art Institute
(03) 5444 7272; email@example.com
- Presented by:
- Wukun Wanambi
- Type of Event:
- Current Student: Undergraduate; Current Student: Postgraduate; Public Lecture
- no charge
Gain an insight into the significance and stature of artwork that has come from East Arnhem Land and that continues to be created by Yolngu artists throughout the region.
Drawn for the collections of La Trobe University, Miwatj presents the work of five highly respected senior Yolngu leaders: Birrikitji Gumana (c.1898-1982), Dr Gumana AO (c.1935-2016), Mithinarri Gurruwiwi (c.1929-1976), Narritjin Maymuru (c.1916-1981) and Wandjuk Marika OBE (c.1930-1987).
In Yolngu matha (Yolngu tongue or language) Miwatj translates to ‘morning side’ or ‘land of the first sunrise’. Geographically, Miwatj refers to ‘sunrise country’, the furthest North-Eastern part of Arnhem Land that receives the first morning sun, as it rises in the East.
Beyond aesthetic vibrancy, the collection of exhibited works provides a small insight into the complexity of Yolngu culture and the significant role that painting has played in asserting Yolngu sovereignty and custodianship over the Miwatj region.
121 View Street Bendigo
Other events by type
- Choose Clever: Law and Criminology
24th Sep 2018 12:45pm
- Choose Clever: Business (Marketing, Accounting and Finance)
24th Sep 2018 8:45am
- Bendigo Campus Talk and Tours
24th Sep 2018 9:00am
- Choose Clever: Physiotherapy
25th Sep 2018 12:45pm
- Choose Clever: Agricultural Science
25th Sep 2018 8:45am