Alexander the Great: Hellenism, Homicide and the Politics of Murder
Join us as Dr Paul Salmond discusses Alexander the Great as part of the La Trobe Classics in the City seminar series.
- Thursday 18 October 2018 06:00 pm until Thursday 18 October 2018 08:00 pm (Add to calendar)
- Dr Gillian Shepherd
- Presented by:
- Dr Paul Salmond
- Type of Event:
- Current Student: Undergraduate; Current Student: Postgraduate; Community Event; Forum/symposium; Seminar/Workshop/Training
The life and career of Alexander III of Macedon continues to echo in popular culture, from the mystic music of The Doors to the villainous musings of the terrorist leader in the film Die Hard. But the image of the driven, charismatic general, famously contemptuous of his personal safety, must be balanced against the clear evidence that Alexander was also a suspicious and homicidal autocrat, whose use of murder as a political tool would have impressed the Borgias of Renaissance Italy. Attalus, Parmenion and Cleitus the Black were all victims: what role did each murder play in securing Alexander’s political authority and advancing his military agenda?
Dr Paul Salmond is an Honorary Associate at La Trobe University. Paul completed a PhD in Classics at the University of Melbourne, and was Lecturer in Classics and Archaeology at the Universities of Melbourne and Sydney before taking a position in the Department of the Prime Minister and Cabinet in 1995. His research interests include Athenian resistance to Macedon and Greek myth in modern film. He has published on the general Chares and journeys to the Underworld in modern cinema.
This event is part of the La Trobe Classics in the City seminar series.
View a full list of the events
Melbourne City Library
Other events by type
- Still Smouldering? Black Saturday 10 Years On
1st Feb 2019 9:00am
- Digital data collection: Innovative approaches in harnessing technology to examine sexual health among LGBTI populations
6th Feb 2019 1:00pm
- Walking on the Ceiling: The Amazing Worlds of M. C. Escher
7th Feb 2019 6:00pm
- Centre for Freshwater Ecosystems Launch
20th Feb 2019 3:00pm
- La Trobe University Orientation 2019, Melbourne Campus
25th Feb 2019