Adolescent Family Violence: Systemic Interventions with Families
This in-person workshop, presented by The Bouverie Centre, will explore the determinants and contexts that underpin the use of violence by adolescents against parents/carers. We will then look at how systemic ways of working with the adolescent, parent/carer and other family members can support positive change and enhanced family trust, respect and safety.
- Thursday 17 March 2022 09:30 am until Thursday 17 March 2022 04:30 pm (Add to calendar)
- The Bouverie Centre
- Presented by:
- Jo Howard and Greg U'ren, The Bouverie Centre
- Type of Event:
- Seminar/Workshop/Training; Public
- $220 (GST incl)
This in-person course will explore the determinants and contexts that underpin the use of violence by adolescents against parents/carers. We will then look at how systemic ways of working with the adolescent, parent/carer and other family members can support positive change and enhanced family trust, respect and safety.
Theoretical frameworks that will be covered include:
- Systemic family work
- Trauma informed practice
- Feminist (accountability for the use of violence)
- Non-violent resistance
- Skills development
You will have the opportunity to practice these key concepts and strategies.
Therapists, case workers, direct care workers seeking to build their confidence in working with young people and their parent/carers. Workers from youth and family services, youth alcohol and other drugs, and mental health services, those working with relevant client groups (adolescents who use violence in the home and their parent/carer) will also benefit from this course.
On completion of this course, you will be able to
- Identify the determinants which contribute to the use of violence by adolescents against parents/carers, including your own experience if family violence
- Understand the systemic context to adolescent family violence
- Articulate the principles that underpin best practice approaches in promoting family safety, trust and respect
- Learn and practice a model of intervention that is trauma informed, systemic and enhances adolescent accountability.
What You Can Expect
- Subject matter experts exploring theoretical and practical frameworks
- Small group activities to ensure the workshop material is relevant to you and to your specific work context
- Discussion of contemporary case examples
- A collection of relevant readings
Related Training and Support
Other events by type
- Clinical Supervision Training
11th May 2022
- Geo-Spatial Data for Smart Cities
31st May 2022 1:30pm
- Are fathers the sleeping giants of maternity care?
1st Jun 2022 12:30pm
- 'Indonesia in Focus' - Welfare-to-work Reform in Indonesia - Seminar # 6
2nd Jun 2022 2:00pm
- Alongside the Right to Water
7th Jun 2022 1:00pm