Pathways to teaching

The Bachelor of Educational Studies is a preferred pathway into a teaching degree. Students who perform well after completing the six common first year subjects can apply to transfer into the second year of an undergraduate teaching degree, such as Bachelor of Education (Primary) or Bachelor of Education (Secondary)

Pathway into a Graduate Teaching Program

Graduate Students who successfully complete any undergraduate degree at any institution can progress into a Graduate Entry Teaching program, such as the Master of Teaching (Primary) and Master of Teaching (Secondary).

Alternative Pathways

Other alternative pathways include TAFE; transferring from another La Trobe degree or campus; transferring from another university where you are enrolled in a related degree, provided you meet the entry requirements; enrolling in a degree through our special mature age entry scheme and or via single subject enrolment.

Other Information

All primary and secondary teachers, including principals working in Government, Catholic and Independent schools, are required by law to obtain profession teaching registration.

To apply, you are required to complete a VIT online application for teacher registration.

Graduates may also be eligible for registration in other Australian states and territories.

Students completing early childhood or early learning courses will need to seek registration with the Australian Children's Education and Care Quality Authority (ACECQA).