Publishing your video
Publishing or uploading a video to a website will allow it to be accessed by your audience whether that be students, staff or the general public. For teaching purposes using Echo360 is the best way to integrate that into the LMS (Moodle).
Creating an EMI shell (Staff Only)
An EMI shell is a space allocated for the storage of recorded media inside Echo360, it stands for "external media ingest". Usually it is linked to the recording of lectures and presentations from designated teaching spaces but it can also be used to independently upload media from your desktop.
Before you can get an EMI shell or "Echo Space" created you will first need an LMS space set up for your subject. Ed-Tech support can do this for you. Once the LMS space is created or you already have one you can then request an EMI shell from Ed-Tech as well.
When the EMI shell is created you can log in to it at Echo360 with your active directory username and password.
Uploading media to Echo360 (Staff Only)
When you have logged in to Echo360 with your University log in you will see 3 tabs in the top left hand corner "Echoes", "Downloads" and "Monitor." Under "Echoes" is "Echoes" and "Media Import". Click on "Media Import".
- Go to Echo360 log in page
- Under the Echoes tab at the top of the page choose Media Import
- Click Browse button and find file you want to upload > Click Open > Click Upload button
- Choose a Section to upload to by first selecting Term then Section from dropdowns
- Set a start date and time (Echo360 sorts content based on time so if you want to order your videos in a particular sequence using sequential dates is important)
- Give the audio/video a Title (this will be displayed to students so make sure it's clear to assist students finding it)
- Add any additional description if required
- Choose what format you want the video uploaded to
- For audio files choose Audio
- for videos of people or processes choose Audio and Video
- for narrated powerpoint or screen recordings choose Audio and Powerpoint or Low Motion Video.
- Click Next.
- Select format from dropdown menu Audio only or Video only (this title is misleading as it contains audio)
- Click Start Processing button.
- You can either click "Upload Another Media File" or logout.
- You will receive an email when the video has been processed and is available to students.
Embedding Echo360 files into the LMS (Staff Only)
Although your lecture may be recorded automatically by Echo, you will need to manually make the recordings available to students via the LMS. You can do this either by adding the Echo360 Block, or by linking to a single recording via the Echo360 Direct URL.
To add the Echo360 block:
- Log in to the LMS > navigate to your subject > Click 'Turn editing on'
- On the right side of the page find the Add a block drop-down menu > select Echo360 and the block will appear on the right of the page
- At the top of the block click the 'Actions' or icon and select Configure Echo360 block
- Under Block settings a list of all your Echo360 spaces will appear > Select what you want to display > Click Save changes
To add the Echo360 Direct URL:
- Log in to the LMS > Navigate to your subject > Click 'Turn editing on'
- In the subject/topic you want the recording, click Add activity or resource > Select Echo360 Direct URL under the "resources" tab.
- At the top of the page under general > name - Give the link a name and description
- Choose which recording to link to then click save and return to subject at the bottom of the page.
Other platforms for hosting media
Other platforms like YouTube or vimeo may be used to host the media but there are some things to consider when using external hosts for LTU teaching and learning content.
- Are you breaching any copyright by publishing other people's material outside the licensing agreement behind the LMS?
- If you leave the University how will other teachers access your published media for continued use in the subject?
- Should your media be accessible to the general public or is it the intellectual property of La Trobe University?
Things you should remember to do if you use YouTube or Vimeo.
- Publish as unlisted
- Disable comments
Microsoft OneDrive is useful for sharing media privately or within groups
Part of the Microsoft Office 365 suite of applications Sway can be used to share and interact with media for either communication or assessment.
La Trobe Educational Technologies FAQ - has a FAQ on using Echo360
"How do I request an Echo360 space?" is a useful search term to start with.