Office 365 Mix
How to: Record a narration over a PowerPoint presentation using Office Mix in the 1BS.
About Office Mix.
Mix is a free plugin for PowerPoint that is available for download from the Microsoft System Centre. Please note that it is currently PC only. More information is available here https://mix.office.com/en-us/Home
If you have already created a PowerPoint presentation, you can use the 1BS to record an accompanying narration and save it as an mp4 video file. The advantage of using PowerPoint Mix is the ability to record the narration over one slide at a time and to re-record the narration only over that slide should you want to. This avoids more complex editing tasks should you have to edit a longer narration. It is best suited to presentations that have a few sentences per slide and are easily re-narrated. PowerPoint Mix has a trim editor similar to Echo360 that allows you to trim the start and ends of an audio file by creating a range of replayed audio that "exludes" or "includes" audio in the final recording.
You can install Office Mix on your own University workstation by downloading and installing the application from the Microsoft System Centre. You can then voice your narrations to a PowerPoint presentation from your desktop workstation if you wish. An advantage of using the 1BS may be that it provides a better audio quality recording.
Accessing the Studio
- Use the 1BS booking system to reserve an available time.
- Enter the studio at your designated time using your staff ID card.
- Note: The 1BS room lights will automatically switch on when you enter.
Logging in to the whiteboard
- Go to the A/V Console and Press Ctrl+Alt+Delete on the computer keyboard and enter your La Trobe username and password to access the system.
- If the computer is in sleep mode, press any key to display login options. The interactive whiteboard will power on and display the time and date.
- Login to the Windows 10 operating system.
Loading your presentation on the whiteboard
- Load your PowerPoint presentation file on to the computer from your network drive or by inserting your USB Flash Drive into the "Presentation" dock on the A/V console (left side).
- Open your file using the PowerPoint application.
Setting up PowerPoint
- Open your file in PowerPoint
- Click on the "Slide Show" tab on the top row of tabs
- Click "Use Presenter View" if you have notes
- Go to "Monitor" and change the setting from "Automatic" to "Primary Monitor"
- If you miss this step (step 4) you may find the main presentation opening with the slide show on the front bottom monitor and the presenter notes opening on the whiteboard. To change this you can Select, "Display Settings" > Swap Presenter View and choose Slide Show. The Slide Show view will now display on the Interactive Whiteboard and the Presenter View will display on the front lower screen.
Check the Setting up PowerPoint in the One Button Studio guide for further instruction.
Set up the microphone and audio level.
- Select Mix > Slide Recording from the Menu bar
- Select Audio and Video settings to setup your audio
- Select Microphone > Microphone (Shure Digital)
- Adjust the audio level slider control until the level meter is at about 75%
Using the whiteboard Pens with PowerPoint.
If you wish to use the whiteboard pens while giving your fullscreen PowerPoint presentation you will need to ensure Monitor is in Primary Monitor mode. Changing the displays while in fullscreen will not activate the pens, it needs to be done before hand by allocating the monitor as in step 4 above "Go to "Monitor".
Using the monitors in the 1BS.
At the front of the room there are two monitors, one above the camera and one below. the top monitor displays the camera preview (what the camera is recording) and the bottom screen is a dual monitor extension of the whiteboard, this is the same as having two monitors attached to your desktop computer.
PowerPoint has a feature called "Presenter View" this enables you to hide your notes from the viewer while being able to see them yourself. The application for this in the 1BS is that your main slide show presentation can be viewed on the whiteboard while your notes (if you have) them can be viewed on the bottom monitor at the camera end of the room. The monitor extension for Presenter View is set as default in the 1BS but if it is not working, check these things.
Activating dual screen mode (if the default has changed).
On the keyboard, press the windows key and the p key simultaneously (win+p). This will bring up the windows display switcher which allows you to determine what mode the second monitor is in, Computer Only, Duplicate, Extension or Projector only. For this purpose we want the display to be in Extend or Extension mode.
Using the Wireless Presenter (clicker)
You can use the Presenter Remote to click between PowerPoint slides while presenting by pressing the forward and back buttons on the remote (give this a try before recording your presentation if this is the first time). The Presenter Remote should be sitting on top of the AV console. If it is missing or not working (probably the batteries are low), please notify ICT.
Record your narrated presentation
- Ensure you are on the first slide. You can navigate using the Previous Slide and Next Slide buttons
- When ready, select the Record button and begin talking into the microphone
- Proceed to the next slide using the Next Slide button and continue your narration.
- When you have finished recording, select the Stop button
- To correct a mistake or re-record a slide:
- Select Stop and then select Record
- When you have finished your new recording, select Stop.
- MIX will prompt you to overwrite the original recording. Select Yes.
To listen to your recording:
- Select the Preview Slide Recording button
To edit the recording(e.g. to shorten the recording or to finish at a different point)
- Select Edit Slide Recording > Trim Slide Recordingto open the Trim recording panel
- Move the left green slider to the new starting point of the recording
- Move the right red slider to the new end point of the recording
- Select the play button to preview your edit
- Select OK when the edit is complete
To annotate your slides while recording your narration:
- Pick up the marker pen
- Select the colour and line thickness
- Apply annotations to your slides as you narrate
- Use the top of the marker pen to erase your markings as needed
To use a TelePrompter to show your script/notes on screen, select Slide Notes
To complete your recording:
- Select Close to close the MIX recording window
- Select Save button to save your file
Export your file to video and publish
From the MIX interface, select Export to Video
Select Computer & HD Displays (720p) > select Next
Save the file to your network drive or USB device
Depending on the length of your recording and the size of the file, it may take 5–10 minutes to process. Do not exit MIX while the program is processing and exporting your video.
Once your video is ready, a message will display (Success! Your video has been exported) > Select Close
Publish your finished file to Echo360 by following the user guide Publishing your Video.
Finish up and exit
- Close any open applications or programs
- Sign out of Windows by clicking Start button> [your name] > Sign out
- The room equipment will automatically go into Sleep mode
- Leave the space clean and neat
- Exit the room and ensure the door is closed behind you