Nurse Immuniser Program
Recognised by the Chief Health Officer, Victorian Department of Health (DH)
For Registered Nurses who wish to become independent nurse immunisers in Victoria. This program covers immunisation throughout the lifespan but excludes travel and COVID-19 immunisation.
|Location||Online with two compulsory on-campus workshops/simulations at Melbourne (Bundoora) Campus*|
|Date/s||Friday 8 July – Monday 12 December 2022|
|Registrations close||Early bird||11.55 pm Sunday 12 June 2022|
|Standard||11.55 pm Sunday 26 June 2022|
|Prerequisite/s||Current registration with Australian Health Practitioner Regulation Agency (AHPRA) as a Registered Nurse. This program is not suitable for enrolled nurses. See below for extra requirements.|
|Certification||150 hours of Continuing Professional Development (CPD)|
|Fee/s||CPD student early bird||$1,500.00 GST exempt|
|CPD student standard||$2,000.00 GST exempt|
|Award student early bird||$2,000.00 GST exempt|
|Award student standard||$2,200.00 GST exempt|
* In the case that COVID-19 related restrictions inhibit the ability to hold the compulsory study days at our Bundoora Campus, they will be delivered online via Zoom
The Nurse Immuniser Program is available on a fee-paying basis as a continuing education subject and as a 15-credit point elective toward postgraduate award studies in Nursing. This program is offered twice a year. Registered Nurses wishing to become Nurse Immunisers must successfully complete all the components of the program.
The program includes three components:
- Theory: Delivered via flexible online mode over fifteen (15) weeks study, supported by two compulsory on-campus study days.
- Content includes current National immunisation schedule, legal and ethical requirements, risks and benefits of vaccines and safe administration of immunisation service, guidelines for storing, handling and using vaccines, management and reporting of adverse events and strategies for improving immunisation coverage rates in Australia.
- Workshop: Students must attend both on-campus study days. The first day includes Managing Adverse Events Following Immunisation (MAEFI). The second study day covers Catch Up Scenarios and Practice Skills.
- Clinical: Successfully complete the clinical requirements under the direct mentorship of an accredited immuniser.
There are three assessments in this program:
- Written assessment (short answer questions)
- Online open book exam
- Clinical assessment in laboratory or placement setting
- Broadband internet access and an active email address that can be accessed at home during study periods.
- Students must have basic computer literacy skills (e.g. Word or other word processing software)
Prerequisites at time of clinical placement
The following documents must be provided to the mentor on the first day of clinical placement. Students are advised to apply for documents upon acceptance in the program.
- Evidence of passing all theoretical components
- A copy of current CPR certificate - Performing Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation unit of competency for adults, children and infants (or equivalent)
- A copy of current Police Check
- A copy of current Working with Children Check
The COVID-19 vaccination has been mandated by the Victorian Government for all Healthcare Workers. Please refer to requirements on the Coronavirus (COVID-19) Victoria website and to La Trobe’s Placement FAQs for COVID-19 . Please be aware that a decision to opt-out of the vaccination could prevent you from completing the course requirements should you be unable to source a facility willing to host you for the clinical placement.
View the Nurse Immuniser Program FAQs or contact La Trobe Executive and Professional Education:
T: 1300 135 045
This program is subject to minimum enrolment numbers. A refund will be provided if the program is cancelled.