Rehabilitation Counselling Panel
Welcome to the La Trobe University Industry panel on Rehabilitation Counselling. This series of videos will be of interest to people wanting to find out more about the profession and people who are potentially interested in a career in Rehabilitation Counselling. You are welcome to view the panel in its entirety or in several of the shorter segments available (please see below).
The purpose of the panel was to discuss the profession of Rehabilitation Counselling with a panel of experts in Rehabilitation Counselling.
Core issues discussed by the panel included:
- What is Rehabilitation Counselling?
- What are some of the settings in which a Rehabilitation Counsellor might work?
- Perspective of a student on placement
- What are some of the best things about being a Rehabilitation Counsellor?
- Career Prospects and getting started in the profession
Getting to know the panel: A brief introduction of backgrounds (duration approx. 8 minutes )
What is the role of a Rehabilitation Counsellor? (duration approx. 4 minutes)
Distinction between a Rehabilitation Counsellor and case manager? (duration approx. 3.5 minutes)
Settings and types of work undertaken by a Rehabilitation Counsellor (duration approx. 5 minutes)
Rehabilitation Counselling in action: most recent work settings and roles of the panel members (duration approx. 7 minutes)
Perspectives of a student on placement (duration approx. 3 minutes)
Core competencies of a Rehabilitation Counsellor (duration approx. 2 minutes)
Best things about being a Rehabilitation Counsellor (duration approx. 9 minutes)
Career Prospects and advice for people interested in a career as a Rehabilitation Counsellor (duration approx. 5 minutes)
Brief question and answer session from the audience (duration approx. 5 minutes)
Full Video (duration approx. 1 hour)
Who was on the panel:
- Michael Iacovino (President of the Australian Society of Rehabilitation Counsellors)
- Jeanette Kinahan (experienced Rehabilitation Counsellor in private practice and Director of Work Health Systems)
- Regina Fitzpatrick (allied health professional with extensive experience as an occupational rehabilitation consultant)
- Professor Greg Murphy (pioneer and leader in the profession of Rehabilitation Counselling in Australia from La Trobe University)
- Carly Harrison (a student from the Postgraduate Course in Rehabilitation Counselling at La Trobe University)
How do I find out more about Rehabilitation Counselling:
The profession and professional membership: Visit the website for the peak national body in Rehabilitation Counselling in Australia: The Australian Society of Rehabilitation Counsellors inc. http://www.asorc.org.au/
Postgraduate pathways Visit La Trobe University https://www.latrobe.edu.au/courses/rehabilitation-counselling. Or contact me Dr Paul O'Halloran (coordinator of the postgraduate Rehabilitation Counselling course)
- on phone: 03 9479-5607
- or email: email@example.com