Enter the Asian century
Explore the political, social, economic and cultural landscapes of our nearest neighbours. Understand and analyse the most important relationships of the 21st century.
Why study Asian studies?
Australia's future is intricately linked with Asia. Recognise these ties and our position in the region by choosing from our wide range of subjects to explore the societies, cultures, political systems, histories, religions, languages, literature and films of Asia.
Our focus is on China, India, Indonesia and Japan. Our aim is to produce graduates who are globally minded thinkers and innovators ready to collaborate with our neighbours for the peace and prosperity of the region.
Complement your studies by learning a language, to prepare you for a wide range of roles in the workplace, both within Australia and across Asia.
To view the variety of subjects available in this discipline see the Handbook.
Where can Asian studies take me?
Asian studies brings you closer to our nearest neighbours. It trains you for a career in a range of fields including government and public service, international relations, NGOs, intelligence and security, media, business, tourism, trade, customs, immigration, international development, foreign aid, education and academic research.
Why La Trobe?
- Be part of a nationally recognised centre for Asian studies, one of few in Australia to teach Indonesian and Hindi.
- Take advantage of an array of Asian exchange opportunities in China, Indonesia, India, Japan, Korea, Singapore, Thailand and Vietnam including some of the region's leading universities.
- Collaborate with leading Chinese universities and research institutions, and attend seminars, conferences and workshops through our Centre for China Studies and La Trobe Asia.
- Join study tours, learn Chinese and attend cultural activities through our Confucius Institute.
- Learn from academic staff with expertise in a diverse range of topics, from pre-modern Indian societies and culture to contemporary Japan.
You can study this as part of a Bachelor of Arts. View all majors