Vice-Chancellor: Professor John Dewar AO
Method of appointment
Vice-Chancellor: ex officio
Commenced as Vice-Chancellor January 2012
- Finance & Resources Committee
- Corporate Governance Audit & Risk Committee
- Human Resources Committee
- Infrastructure & Estates Planning Committee
- Foundation Committee
- Educated at Oxford University in the UK and has lived in Australia for the last 16 years.
- Extensive experience in the higher education sector and held senior positions at both Griffith University and the University of Melbourne before taking up the position of Vice-Chancellor of La Trobe University in January 2012.
- An internationally known family law specialist. Taught at the Universities of Lancaster and Warwick from 1981 to 1988, and worked for the London law firm Allen & Overy from 1988-1990.
- Appointed Fellow and Tutor in Law of Hertford College Oxford in 1990, a position he held until 1995 while acting as consultant to London law firm Farrer & Co.
- In 1995, moved to Griffith University in South East Queensland - Dean and Head of School of the Griffith Law School (1999-2002), Pro Vice-Chancellor (Business and Law) (2003-2005) and most recently Deputy Vice-Chancellor (Academic) from 2005 until joining the University of Melbourne in April 2009 where he was Provost until December 2011.