Located in Melbourne, the Confucius Institute at La Trobe University was established in November 2011. Our Institute is operated in partnership with Chongqing University–one of the top 39 key national universities in China. With a strong focus on the promotion of Chinese language and culture in northern Melbourne and regional Victoria, we offer a wide range of teaching, study tours, scholarships and cultural activities for students, staff and community.
Our mission is to promote Chinese language and culture, and to encourage the development of innovative approaches to teaching and learning related to Chinese language and culture.
The Confucius Institute is a joint effort by La Trobe University and Chongqing University from China.
We are on Facebook where you'll be able to keep up to date with all of our activities and events.
- Provision of general and customised Chinese language courses,
- Provision of training courses for teachers of teaching Chinese as second language,
- Organisation of scholarships and China study tours,
- Organisation of cultural activities to enhance better understanding of Chinese culture within Victoria,
- Organisation and promotion of China related seminars, international workshops, and conferences,
- Development of new teaching materials and methods for Chinese teaching and learning,
- Provision of library services for La Trobe University staff, student and local communities.
Our facilities include a Chinese culture display hall, a fully equipped classroom, furnished offices, work stations, a library, and a multi-functional seminar room.
Our library collection hosts both Chinese-language and English-language books, dictionaries, magazines, academic journals, research materials and literature including law, economic, business management, health, humanities, science and technology, and social sciences.
The library is an important part of the Confucius Institute and is open for use by university staff, students, and the public.