About the Department
We are an active teaching and research department with a focus on obtaining the best possible career outcomes for our graduates.
We create environments for interdisciplinary research, international collaboration and nurture entrepreneurship and innovation. We're ranked in the world’s top 400 universities for computer science* and we work closely and co-design courses with leading industry companies such as CISCO and Amazon.
Our research areas comprise:
- Artificial intelligence and data science
- Computing education and technologies
- Digital crime and networking
- Internet of Things and disruptive technology
- Visualisation and interactive media.
We have state-of-the-art computer labs designed for collaborative work, giving you plenty of access to a variety of computing facilities.
Recognising the importance of industry experience in today's workplace. We offer a variety of opportunities for industry collaboration during the study period such as work-integrated learning, industry-based learning and industry-based projects. In addition, the entrepreneurial spirit of computing is well represented in our department.
*Times Higher Education (THE), 2019, World University Rankings 2020 by subject: computer science
Meet our staff
We’re committed to extending the frontiers of knowledge, developing technology, and advancing education with real-world impact. Our staff are at the top of their research domain and we are very proud of our track record of excellence in both teaching and research.
Department executive team
- Head of Department - Professor Henry Duh
- Deputy Head of Department - Associate Professor Simon Egerton
- Cybersecurity Discipline Head - Professor Naveen Chilamkurti
- Department Teaching & Learning Coordinator - Dr Fei Liu
- Department Curriculum Coordinator – Associate Professor Prakash Veeraraghavan
- Department Research Coordinator - Professor Phoebe Chen
- Department Graduate Research Co-ordinator - Dr Abdun Mahmood
- Department Industry Engagement and Outreach Coordinator - Dr Scott Mann