Your rights and responsibilities
Privacy Collection Notice
La Trobe Communication Clinic collects personal information about you so we can keep up-to-date details about your needs and care for you in the best possible way. We also use this information to better manage and plan this service. Your information can only be seen by the service providers in this clinic involved in your care. We may also disclose this information to referrers and/or external agencies with your consent, or if required by law. If your personal information is not provided to us we may be unable to provide appropriate services as requested. You may have the right to access the personal information we hold about you subject to any exemptions in relevant laws, by contacting the La Trobe Communication Clinic by telephone on (+61) 03 9479 1921 or email at firstname.lastname@example.org
Your Privacy Rights
La Trobe Communication Clinic respects the privacy of your personal information and health information. For more information regarding the clinic's use of your information, please see Your Information - It's Private
Information collected will be used in accordance with the University's privacy policies, available at www.latrobe.edu.au/privacy, which comply with Health Privacy Principles in the Health Records Act 2001.
You have the right to be treated with respect and sensitivity regardless of your culture, religion or language.
You are entitled to an interpreter, if needed, to assist in understanding and accessing our services.
You have the right to use an advocate on your behalf.
You have the right to information about the range of services available to you and information that will enable you to make informed choices.
You also have the right to access certain information held about you in accordance with the University's privacy policies and under the Freedom of Information Act (Vic).
You have the right to participate in decision making about your care, including the right to refuse services, without fear of retribution. This includes the right to refuse student participation in the session.
You have also the right to express your views regarding the planning, management and evaluation of the La Trobe Communication Clinic services.
- All children under the age of 18 must be supervised at all times by a parent or carer whilst attending the clinic.
- Abide by the clinic's attendance requirements and cancellation policy.
- Give at least 24 hours notice of cancellations.
- Cancellations with less than 24 hours notice incur a charge of 50% of session fee.
- Full session fees will be charge for failure to attend a scheduled appointment without notification of cancellation.
- Trans and Gender Diverse Clinic - failure to attend a scheduled session without notice of cancelling with less than 24 hours notice will incur a $10 cancellation charge.
- Multiple cancellations or failure to attend may result in discharge from the clinic.
- Actively seek information about your care.
- Respect the privacy of others.
- Acknowledge the responsibility for the consequences of any decisions to accept or reject advice or treatment.
- Follow the rules and directions of the clinic and respect staff and clinic property.
La Trobe Communication Clinic encourages clients to provide feedback about their experiences of the services provided. This helps us to improve the clinic, so we can better serve you and the community.
You can provide this feedback in a number of ways:
- Speak or write directly to the staff member who provided the service.
- Write down your feedback and put it in the 'Suggestions' box at reception.
- Providing formal, anonymous feedback through our Client Satisfaction Survey (CSS) which is distributed annually.
You have the right to make a complaint about the service or the treatment you receive and to have this complaint dealt with fairly, confidentially and without fear of retribution.
If you prefer to comment or complain to an outside authority, please contact:
The Code of Conduct for General Health Services is available at:
Office of the Public Advocate
Telephone: 1300 309 337
Health Issues Centre
Level 1, 255 Bourke St
Melbourne, Vic 3000
T: 8676 9050
F: 9654 2873
La Trobe Communication Clinic
T: 9479 1921
F: 9479 5033