We specialise in stuttering treatment for pre-school children using The Lidcombe Program of Early Stuttering Intervention. This is an evidence-based program that uses a behavioural approach to treating stuttering. This is achieved by praising the child for fluent speech, then gradually helping them to identify and correct their stuttering. Research has found The Lidcombe Program to be most effective in eliminating stuttering in preschool children up to the age of six. However, principles of this program can be used to treat children up to 10-12 years.
Features of the Lidcombe Program
- Treatment is delivered by the parent/significant other in the child's everyday environment
- Treatment training is provided by the speech pathologist.
- Treatment is provided in the form of 'Parental Verbal Contingencies', i.e. Praising for stutter-free speech and careful, guided correction of stuttering.
- The program should be a positive and fun experience for the child.
- The parent is trained to rate the severity of their child's stuttering each day.
- The program involves weekly visits to the clinic.
Please complete and return the following application forms. These forms must be completed before a referral will be processed.
If any assistance is required to complete these forms, please call clinic reception on (03) 9479 1921 or email firstname.lastname@example.org to request assistance.
- Request for services: consumer information [PDF 632 KB]
- Consent form [PDF 491 KB]
- Paediatric Fluency Program Client Information [PDF 826 KB]
Our fees are not refundable through Medicare or private health insurance. Concession is available on the presentation of a Health Care Card. Fees may be altered according to family income and individual circumstances. For other programs or group therapy, different fees will apply.