The treatment for stuttering in adults is usually more complex than treating children. An adult's motor pattern will be changed be years of stuttering, altering the way a person speaks.
Learning new motor patterns may not feel natural. In time and with lots of practice, adults can significantly reduce their stuttering. Our treatment also addresses the emotions and attitudes that may have developed towards speaking.
We offer an Intensive Smooth Speech Program for adults who stutter. Supported by significant evidence, this intensive therapy program, referred to as 'Intensive Fluency', has been proven to lead to a decrease in stuttering.
Intensive Smooth Speech Program
During this two month program where the individual is taught techniques to help produce 'smooth' speech, decrease the occurrence of stuttering, and to help maintain fluency.
The program usually runs during the first week of the university semester.
What to expect
- The program includes an intensive week of 3-5 x consecutive 9-hour days, followed by 5-7 x weekly 2 hour sessions
- Individual treatment is provided by supervised speech pathology students, usually two per participant
- Each group has 12-15 participants
- Group practice opportunities are provided, but most of the treatment is individual
- Opportunities and ideas for home practice and transfer of fluency are tailored to your needs
- Expect to be challenged, and to work hard to achieve/maintain fluency
- The program is approximately 30-60 hours over two months.
Benefits of this format
- You can meet and share experiences with other people who stutter
- You will receive individual and group treatment
- We provide you with ongoing support in the form of Review Days
- Your treatment is tailor made for you
- The program is delivered by engaged and enthusiastic student speech pathologists, who are passionate about treating stuttering.
Please complete and return the following applications forms. These forms must be completed before your referral is processed.
If you need any assistance, please call clinic reception on (03) 9479 1921 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
Our fees are not refundable through Medicare or private health insurance. Concession is available on the presentation of a Health Care Card. Fees may be altered according to family income and individual circumstances. For other programs or group therapy, different fees will apply.