Currently, the approach that has been shown to be most effective in treating stuttering in adolescence is Smooth Speech. This approach has been widely researched, and has been shown to produce both immediate and long-term results.
Smooth Speech is a technique that teaches people to alter their speech pattern. We offer an Intensive Smooth Speech Program, also referred to as 'Intensive Fluency', which is run once or twice a year.
Intensive Smooth Speech Program
We run an Intensive Smooth Speech program especially for adolescents (ages 12-17) once or twice a year. This is a two month program where the individual is taught techniques to help produce 'smooth' speech, decrease the occurrence of stuttering, and to help maintain fluency.
What to expect
- Each group usually has 12-15 participants.
- The program includes an intensive week (five consecutive 9-hour days), followed by weekly two hour sessions for seven weeks held on Thursday afternoons.
- Individual treatment is provided by supervised speech pathology students, usually with two students to one participant.
- Group practice opportunities are provided, but most of the treatment is individual.
- Opportunities and ideas for home practice and transfer of fluency are tailored to individual needs.
- Expect to be challenged, and to work hard to achieve/maintain fluency.
- The program is 60 hours over two months.
Benefits of this format
- Participants can meet and share experiences with other teenagers who stutter.
- We provide individual and group treatment.
- There is ongoing support in the form of Review Days.
- Treatment is tailored to the individual.
- Treatment is delivered by enthusiastic student speech pathologists, interested in working with people who are stuttering.
Please complete and return the following application forms. These forms must be completed before a referral will be processed.
If any assistance is required to complete these forms, please call clinic reception on (03) 9479 1921 or email firstname.lastname@example.org to request assistance.
Our fees are not refundable through Medicare or private health insurance. Concession is available on the presentation of a Health Care Card. Fees may be altered according to family income and individual circumstances. For other programs or group therapy, different fees will apply.