Currently, the approach that has been shown to be most effective in treating stuttering in adolescence is Prolonged or Smooth Speech. This approach has been widely researched, and has been shown to produce both immediate and long-term results.
Prolonged/Smooth Speech is a technique whereby people alter their speech pattern or learn to speak differently to prevent the stuttering from occurring.
Intensive Smooth Speech Program
We run an Intensive Smooth Speech program especially for adolescents (generally ages 12-17) once or twice a year. This is usually a two month program where the individual is taught techniques to help produce 'smooth' speech, decrease the occurrence of stuttering, and to help maintain fluency.
What to expect
- Each group usually has approximately 12 participants.
- The program includes an intensive week (three to five consecutive 9-hour days), followed by weekly two hour sessions for several weeks.
- Individual treatment is provided by supervised speech pathology students, usually with two students to one participant.
- Group practice opportunities are provided, but most of the treatment is individual.
- Opportunities and ideas for home practice and transfer of fluency are tailored to individual needs.
- Expect to be challenged, and to work hard to achieve/maintain fluency.
Benefits of this format
- Participants can meet and share experiences with other teenagers who stutter.
- We provide individual and group treatment.
- There is ongoing support in the form of Review Days which generally occur twice a year.
- Treatment is tailored to the individual.
- Treatment is delivered by enthusiastic student speech pathologists, interested in working with people who are stuttering.
- Student speech pathologists are supervised by clinicians experienced in the treatment of stuttering.
Please complete and return the following application forms. These forms must be completed before a referral will be processed.
If any assistance is required to complete these forms, please call clinic reception on (03) 9479 1921 or email email@example.com to request assistance.
Our fees are not refundable through Medicare or private health insurance. Concession is available on the presentation of a Health Care Card. Fees may be altered according to family income and individual circumstances. For other programs or group therapy, different fees will apply.