We use the Smooth Speech approach to treat stuttering in adolescents. Widely researched, this treatment has been shown to produce both immediate and long-term results. This technique teaches participants to alter their speech pattern.
We offer an Intensive Smooth Speech Program, also referred to as 'Intensive Fluency', which is run once or twice a year.
Our program is specifically designed for adolescents, aged 12-17. This two month program teaches techniques to help produce 'smooth' speech, decrease the occurrence of stuttering, and to help maintain fluency.
Intensive Smooth Speech Program
What to expect
- The program includes an intensive week of 3-5 x consecutive 9-hour days, followed by 5-7 weekly two hour sessions
- Individual treatment is provided by supervised speech pathology students, usually two students per participant
- Group practice opportunities are provided, but most of the treatment is individual
- Each group has 12-15 participants
- Opportunities and ideas for home practice and transfer of fluency are tailored to your needs
- Expect to be challenged, and to work hard to achieve/maintain fluency
- The program is 30-60 hours over two months.
Benefits of this format
- You can meet and share experiences with other teenagers who stutter
- You will receive individual and group treatment
- We provide you with ongoing support in the form of Review Days
- Treatment is tailor made for you
- The program is delivered by engaged and enthusiastic student speech pathologists, who are passionate about treating stuttering.
Please complete and return the following applications forms. These forms must be completed before your referral is processed.
If you need any assistance, please call clinic reception on (03) 9479 1921 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
Our fees are not refundable through Medicare or private health insurance. Concession is available on the presentation of a Health Care Card. Fees may be altered according to family income and individual circumstances. For other programs or group therapy, different fees will apply.