The Department of Chemistry and Physics in conjunction with the ARC Centre of Excellence for Advanced Molecular Imaging and the La Trobe Research Centre for Materials and Surface Science is well equipped with instrumentation to support its research and studies. As a member of the La Trobe Institute for Molecular Science (LIMS), students have access to world-class research and learning facilities that include:
- Advanced ultra-high vacuum instruments for electron spectroscopy and scanning probe microscopy
- Electron and X-ray imaging
- Electron microscopy
- Light and confocal microscopes
- High performance computing
- Mass spectrometry
- NMR spectroscopy
- Shimadzu instrument laboratory
- Material processing and nanofabrication facilities
- Dedicated helium liquifier
- X-ray Crystallography.
Freely Accessible Remote Laboratories (FARLabs) is a virtual laboratory network that brings the state-of-the-art facilities and world-class research of Australia's universities directly into schools to engage high-school students with science and maths nationally.