Institutional strategies, evaluation and research
We're involved in developing institutional strategies and evaluating La Trobe University programs tailored to under-represented students and institutional research.
View case studies.
Care leaver strategy
Supported by the Office of the Deputy Vice-Chancellor (Academic), the Centre for Higher Education Equity and Diversity Research (CHEEDR; formerly known as the Access and Achievement Research Unit) worked to develop a holistic strategy to attract and support care leavers at the University.
The strategy aims to:
- raise the higher education aspirations for young people in out-of-home care and care leavers;
- increase enrolments of care leavers at La Trobe University;
- increase support for care leavers attending La Trobe University to encourage their success in higher education; and
- continue leading the national research agenda and influencing national policy.
Learn about our work to support Care leavers.
- Mobility Assistance Scholarships for low socio-economic status students
- Care Leaver Bursaries
- Bursaries for students from refugee backgrounds
New migrant strategy
The Centre created a webpage outlining the range of financial, academic and personal support available to new migrant students. The page also outlines some of the major interdisciplinary research projects being undertaken across the University which aim to increase our understanding and support of migrant groups. Learn about our work to support new migrants.
We have a major role in evaluating the following La Trobe programs:
- School Partnerships Program (SPP)
- College of Science Health and Engineering (SHE) outreach program
- ‘VCE Plus’ program
- Succeed Program (Academic Early Warning System)
- Tertiary Enabling program.
- student access
- increasing low socio-economic status numbers at La Trobe
- outcomes and achievements of the Bendigo Tertiary Education Plan.
- university access and achievement of people from out-of-home care backgrounds
- investigation into university access, achievement and outcomes among students from non-English speaking backgrounds.
Retention, attrition and re-engagement
- student retention
- success and retention rates of international students at La Trobe
- identifying and responding to risk indicators of student attrition
- investigation into the cohort of students who withdraw from university and into re-engaging students who have withdrawn from university.
- student equity implications of embedding the La Trobe Essentials
- student equity issues within blended and online subjects
- investigation into international student finances
- investigation into equity and diversity among university postgraduate and higher degree cohorts
- methodology to rank universities on inclusive excellence, using metrics of quality, equity and diversity.