Outgoing student exchange

La Trobe University has an active and expanding program of reciprocal student exchanges.

La Trobe Law School allows participating students the opportunity to study full-time at an overseas partner institution for a semester or a year. If you are studying an approved course, this can be credited towards your La Trobe University degree.

We also provide options to participate in Overseas Short Programs offering credit for one or two subjects of study.

What will you gain?

Studying overseas will:

  • increase your global employability
  • allow you to experience a new academic environment
  • give you insight into a different culture
  • provide the opportunity to learn another language.

On a personal level, it can strengthen maturity and your sense of independence and self-awareness.

In 2015, 221 students went on a full length semester exchange.

Partner universities

La Trobe University has more than 140 partner universities in over 40 countries, including:

  • Texas Tech University, USA
  • University of Essex, UK
  • University of Calgary, Canada
  • Yonsei University, Korea
  • Chinese University of Hong Kong
  • Copenhagen Business School, Denmark
  • Beijing University of Technology, China
  • Sabanci University, Turkey
  • Tecnologico de Monterrey, Mexico

Most of our partners offer subjects in English.

Popular destinations include Germany, Hong Kong, Denmark, Sweden, Thailand, Turkey, USA, UK and Canada.


You must meet with ASK La Trobe before beginning your application, to have your eligibility assessed. You can usually apply if you:

  • are enrolled in an undergraduate degree, or selected postgraduate qualification
  • have successfully completed your first semester, with an average of 65%+ by the time you leave for your exchange
  • have completed one full year of study equalling 120 credit points.

However, meeting these criteria does not guarantee your acceptance.

You must have your exchange program approved by your course administrator before you leave Australia, to make sure you receive credit for your overseas units.


Tuition fees are usually waived at the host university, so you will pay your normal fees to La Trobe during your exchange.

Cost of living varies greatly, based on your host country and the exchange rate for your money. Review your budget considerations.

La Trobe offers an exchange mobility grant to help with the cost of travel and insurance. For destinations in Asia, there may be more scholarships available.

A government-funded OS-Help loan may be available to you. If you receive Youth Allowance or government scholarships, you can usually continue to receive these while you're overseas.

Want more information?

Learn more at our student exchange page, or visit the Global Lounge. View their opening hours.