Cost of living
The tables below compare estimated average annual costs for one student in three types of accommodation:
- shared rental accommodation with two other people
- home board with all meals provided
- on-campus accommodation (meals not provided).
Average living costs for one student (A$)
house (with 2 others)
(all meals included)
(no meals included)
|Rent in advance
||(fees in advance) 2178
|Connecting utilities (e.g. phone, gas, electricity)
|Other costs||(e.g. furniture) 500
||(placement fee) 350
||(other fees) 350
and personal items
|Utilities (gas, electricity,
mobile phone, internet)
|Travel to uni and work|| 30
|Annual costs (37 weeks)|
|Establishment costs, less rent in advance||920||1043||650|
|Books, stationery, photocopying, etc.||800||800||800|
|Weekly costs x 37 weeks||12580||11655||12210|
About the estimates
- These estimates are for the 37-week academic year. If you live on campus, that’s how long you will stay. We have included 37 weeks of house rental for comparison. Note that house rental leases are usually for a full year and if you sign the lease you are committed to 52 weeks of rent. Before you sign a lease, you can ask the rental agent if a six-month lease is possible.
- We have excluded the cost of clothing or travel for leisure.
- Costs are based on 2011 prices. Students starting in 2012 should allow for a 4%-5% increase in living expenses.
- Bond is calculated as equivalent to 4 weeks rent. It is refunded at the end of your tenancy.
- We have included 4 weeks rent in advance in the establishment costs. It is not included separately in the annual costs, because it is counted in the 37 weeks rent.
- See renting rights and responsibilities for more information about bond and rent in advance.