How do I apply?
To apply for Master's candidature, you will need an Australian Bachelor's degree with honours year, or approved international equivalent.
To apply for PhD candidature, you will need either;
- an Australian Master's degree at a minimum H2A standard, or approved international equivalent,
- an Australian Bachelor's degree with an honours year at a minimum H2A standard, or approved international equivalent.
* All acquired degrees must have included a significant research component, for example, completion of a minor research thesis. In most cases, a successful applicant to ARCSHS will have achieved an H1 standard in their prior educational experiences.
Minimum requirements for scholarship eligibility is an Australian Bachelor's degree with honours year at H1 (1st class) standard.
1. Become familiar with our academics
Prospective students should become familiar with the academic staff of ARCSHS and their research interests, to find a possible match with their area of interest.
Available primary supervisors this year:
2. Write a formal introductory e-mail
Write a formal introductory e-mail, including:
- an up-to-date Curriculum Vitae (CV)
- unofficial transcripts of previous degrees
- writing sample (e.g., minor thesis, published article)
- a research project proposal (300 words)
3. Get our guidance
Successful queries will be provided some additional guidance on the research proposal and most appropriate course (PhD, Master's) in preparation for the formal application.
4. Formally apply
The official application process requires:
- 2 confidential academic referee reports
- a completed application
- original or certified copies of University academic transcripts
- professional CV
- details of any publications
- a copy of research thesis
- the research proposal
- citizenship confirmation
Additional requirements exist for International applicants.
Applications for candidature are welcome all year, however we prefer you to enrol before 31 March.
The closing date for applications for scholarships is 31 October for Australian and New Zealand citizens, and 30 September for all other international applicants.
If you have any queries, please contact the Postgraduate Co-ordinator, Dr. Christopher Fisher.