Longer term accommodation

You can choose from a range of off-campus accommodation options close to La Trobe University, including:

Share housing

Sharing a rented house or flat with other people is generally the most economical, flexible and popular form of off-campus accommodation. You can choose to move into an existing shared house, or organise a group to establish a new shared house.

Usually, each person in a shared house has their own bedroom and contributes to the cost of household goods, the bond (security deposit), gas, electricity, water, and telephone charges. In most cases you will be expected to provide your own bedroom furniture. The bathroom, kitchen and living room are for everyone to share and maintain.

Some things to consider before moving into a shared household:

  • Current lease agreement
  • Household expectations and rules (cooking, cleaning, system for paying bills)
  • People who may be moving out or moving in to the household
  • Your room (privacy, size and furnishings)
  • Safety inside and outside the property.

If you are thinking about share housing, it is helpful to consider your potential legal status in the shared housing arrangement. For example, you may be moving into a co-tenancy household where all tenants have equal rights or you may find one tenant (called a head tenant) is sub-letting to another tenant, or you may find you have a licence agreement with no tenancy rights.

The Tenancy Union of Victoria produces a useful fact sheet on shared households.

Hostels and rooming houses

If you live in a house or property where there's one of more rooms available for rent and the total number of people occupying these rooms are four or more it may be classified as a rooming house. Bedrooms are usually furnished and you can rent your own locked bedroom (single room) or share a bedroom with others (dorm room). You also share the house common facilities such as kitchen, laundry, bathroom and living areas. Rooming houses are a good option if you enjoy living in a communal environment.

Rooming house operators are required to comply with minimum standards which relate to privacy, security, safety and amenities. You can view the minimum standards at Consumer Affairs Victoria.

Private rental vacancies

This option includes units, flats, house, self-contained bungalows and apartments. By living in a private rental you have the opportunity to live independently and to be responsible for all aspects of your tenancy. This can be one of the more expensive options as you are solely responsible for meeting costs such as the bond (security deposit), rent in advance, gas, electricity and water, moving expenses and furnishings.

Many private rental properties are managed by real estate agencies. Finding rental accommodation can be time consuming. You will need to inspect properties, submit application forms and understand your legal rights and responsibilities. If you are considering this option, it is a good idea to allow a minimum of four weeks to secure accommodation.

Commercially operated student apartments

If you are interested in living independently in a larger complex, without extensive pastoral support but with access to common facilities this may be a good option. Rooms come fully furnished and you have your own bathroom and kitchen facilities. There are different types of accommodation within apartments you can choose from such as:

  • studio room
  • one bedroom
  • two bedroom
  • twin share.

If you choose to share with another person, you will save on the cost of renting an apartment.


In a homestay arrangement, you live as a guest with the host family in their home. Meals and other support may be provided and your room is usually fully furnished. This option can be appealing as it gives an opportunity to be supported in a family environment.

Whatever accommodation options you choose, if you need more information about laws on your rights and responsibilities, the La Trobe Student Legal Service can help. You can contact them on (03) 9479 2314.

Modes of transport

Campus Mode of transport available
Melbourne (in Bundoora) bus, tram, train, cycle, car
Sydney bus, train, cycle
Bendigo bus, cycle, car
Albury-Wodonga bus, cycle, car
Mildura bus, cycle, car
Shepparton bus, cycle, car
Melbourne CBD (City Campus) bus, tram, train, cycle, car

Distances from Melbourne Campus

Reference pointDistance
Macleod Railway Station1.3km
Heidelberg Railway Station4.6km
Reservoir Railway Station3.8km
Bundoora Park1.3km
Melbourne Airport18.4km
Northland Shopping Centre2.8km
Preston Market4.5km


The above mentioned short and longer term accommodation options are provided for information only. They are not affiliated with or endorsed by La Trobe University.

Compare properties

The Tenants Union of Victoria (TUV) produces a helpful Off-Campus Accommodation Checklist which can help you compare properties.