Resident FAQs for COVID-19

What is the vaccination requirements for student residences?

While there is no requirement for residents or visitors to be fully vaccinated, for the health and safety of our communities we strongly encourage you to get vaccinated and to get your additional dose where available.

Do I need to wear a face mask in the common area in student residences?

It is highly recommended that you wear a face mask when you are in common areas within the residences, when you do group activity or when attending indoor events. Face mask is a simple and effective way to protect yourself and those around you from COVID-19. A face mask is mandatory (unless medically exempted) if a Safety Risk Assessment identify an activity as requiring a face mask.

Who do I contact if I have COVID-19 symptoms? Where can I go to access RAT?

If you are experiencing COVID-19 symptoms, please get tested as soon as possible. If you can't access PCR or RAT at the moment, you should isolate until you can. If you are unable to isolate in your current accommodation setting, please contact Living at La Trobe and we will relocate you to an isolation room.

For those living on campus in Bundoora, the closest walk-through and drive-through testing facility is on campus at Carpark 7A.

Please refer to for further testing facility locations and the current wait times.

If you have symptoms, you should not attend any of the communal living spaces, this includes the laundry facilities. You should do not attend face to face classes, travel on public transport or attend any public places.

If you have to leave your room, you need to wear a face mask.

What do I do if I test positive for COVID-19?

If you receive a positive RAT or PCR tested for COVID-19, you need to immediately contact:

  • Living at La Trobe via phone Bundoora (03) 9479 1071 or Bendigo/Regional (03) 5444 7425, and email with the below information and we will relocate you into an isolation room:
    • Are you symptomatic? If so, what symptoms?
    • Are you fully vaccinated? Have you had your booster shot?
    • Have you been identified as a close contact?
  • the University by completing our COVID-19 Notification form
  • Department of Health via their online form or by phoning the Coronavirus Hotline on 1800 675 398 to self-report your result.

I am required to self-isolate because I tested positive or has been deemed a household or household-like contact, what will happen now?

  • Isolation Room - After you notify Living at La Trobe, you will be relocated into an isolation room
  • Meals and Groceries - You will need to arrange for your own meals and groceries. the catering company does not provide isolation packages. If you decide to order online deliveries, you need to contact Living at La Trobe on (03) 9479 1071 to assists you with collecting your delivery
  • Linen - You are welcome to take your belongings include linen into isolation with you. If you need additional linen, you should call Living at La Trobe
  • Laundry – You will not be able to access the laundry during your isolation period
  • Rubbish - Place your rubbish in a sealed garbage bag outside of your door and advise reception on (03) 9479 1071 to arrange for collection during the hours of 9:00am - 12:00pm Monday to Friday (expect on public holidays)
  • Air conditioning/heating – The isolation room do not have air conditioning. If you require a fan or heater you should contact Living at La Trobe on (03) 9479 1071 to get assistance with arranging a fan/heater for you
  • Visitor/Guest – You will not be able to have visitor or guest (including other students) during your isolation period
  • Fire Evacuation - In the event of a fire evacuation emergency, you should evacuate your room and meet one of the staff facilitating the evacuation and identify yourself as being in isolation so the staff can assist you further.
  • You are required to remain in your assigned room during your isolation period and not using the communal living facilities.

    Living in isolation can be tough and we encourage you to reach out to La Trobe University's Student Health, Wellbeing and Inclusion Services if you require any support. The La Trobe Health Wellbeing and Inclusion services include a number of different services to support our students, please go to or call (03)-94762956 in order that we can best support you.  An after-hours crisis service Uni Crisis Line is available by calling 1300 146 307 or text: 0488.  This service operates between 5pm-9am on weekdays and 24 hours during weekends and public holidays.