Secondary school students
Work Experience Program
The La Trobe Wildlife Sanctuary offers engaging Work Experience placements for students currently in Year 10.
Our Work Experience Program is designed to foster new skills in young people, create an awareness and appreciation of the conservation and biodiversity management industry and demonstrate the breadth of career opportunities in environmental science, research and education.
Please note, the LaTrobe Wildlife Sanctuary does not offer direct involvement with animals.
Successful applicants may assist in the following areas of the Sanctuary:
- Land management & revegetation
- Wildlife monitoring surveys
- Plant production & seed sorting
- Education experiences
- Marketing, promotion & interpretation
- Office & administration
- Nesting box construction
- Workshops & tours
Work Experience placements run for 1 week from Monday to Friday on pre-selected dates throughout the year. Normal working hours are from 9.30am until 4pm. As part of your placement, you will be required to undertake some structured learning activities.
Find out more about work experience with our Frequently Asked Questions
The La Trobe Wildlife Sanctuary can accommodate up to 4 student placements in a given week. We are currently accepting applications for Secondary School Work Experience students for the following dates in 2017:
- 1st - 5th May 2017 (Term 3, Week 3)
- 8th – 12th May 2017 (Term 2, week 4) (Fully Booked)
- 13th – 16th June 2017 (Term 2, week 9) - Note Public Holiday (Fully Booked)
- 26th – 30th June 2017 (Term 2, week 11) (Fully Booked)
- 17th – 21st July 2017 (Term 3, week 1)
- 24th – 28th July 2017 (Term 3, week 2)
- 4th – 8th September 2017 (Term 3, week 8)
- 11th – 15th September 2017 (Term 3, week 9)
- 16th – 20th October 2017 (Term 4, week 2)
How to Apply
- Click on Apply Now.
- Complete the online Volunteer Application form.
- Select Secondary School student and fill in your contact details and preferences.
- Inform your School Career Advisor or relevant school teacher that you have applied to complete Work Experience at the La Trobe Wildlife Sanctuary.
- If your application is successful, you are required to complete a Work Experience Arrangement and Travel form, which are located here.
- To arrange Payment complete the payment request form
- Once these forms are signed and returned, you are ready for your placement!
- For assistnance in completing forms - see our FAQS