Volunteer to be a Sports Manager
The Sports Manager plays an integral role in Sports Club management.
An application can be made via the specific Sports Club to La Trobe Sports who will confirm the position, provide extensive training and support to guide you through the process and provide a subsidy based on achieving key milestones.
La Trobe Sports, along with the recommendation from the Sports Clubs, seek to appoint sports managers with the following qualities:
- Can work as part of a large team, take direction and work individually where required.
- Is committed to the values of La Trobe Sports, abide to the Code of Conduct and to providing students with a ‘life changing’ experience.
- Ability to work with people from different backgrounds, be approachable and can communicate effectively with students, staff and event management.
- Able to solve problems and seek assistance when appropriate, demonstrate leadership and initiative, be resourceful and drive the team to a positive outcome.
Skills and experience
Whilst is it not essential that you have previous experience in managing sports teams, it would be desirable if you possessed the following:
- A basic knowledge of the sport, the skills required, its rules and equipment.
- Is a member of the Sports Club or has had some sports administration skills and experience.
The benefits to you from this experience
- An opportunity to develop a range of skills in planning, coordination, problem solving, fundraising and team formation.
- Exposure to event management and basic risk management.
- Develop effective leadership skills, working through a process to achieve a positive outcome and be recognised and awarded for your efforts.
- Receive a Certificate of Appreciation and a written reference, upon request.
Contact the relevant Sports Club to discuss your interest and the club's plan to form a team, a detailed position description and nomination form.
Contact the Clubs and Recreation department to discuss your interest and submission.