About VCE Plus
What is VCE Plus?
This program allows Year 12 VCE students to complete two first-year university subjects and have them recognised as part of their VCE.
We offer VCE Plus in these subject areas:
- Aboriginal Studies
- Arts & Humanities
- Event Management
- Globalisation,Society & Place
- Human Biosciences
- Physics & Astronomy
Download the 2018 VCE Plus brochure [PDF 3.79MB] to see full details of the subjects on offer.
How will VCE Plus help me?
Your VCE Plus subjects will count as Unit 3 and 4 sequences as part of your VCE and also contribute to your ATAR through a 10% increment (see table below). By completing VCE Plus, you will also have completed two first year university subjects, and these will count towards a relevant undergraduate degree.
VCE Plus also gives you the chance to:
- Get a taste of university life – When accepted into this program you'll be enrolled as a La Trobe student. You'll be able to access relevant University resources and services.
- Save money – While there are fees, these are much lower than normal and will save you substantial money on your university HECS fees.
- Receive an early conditional offer for entry into selected La Trobe courses* – If you achieve high results in your VCE Plus subjects, you're eligible for an early offer entry into selected La Trobe degrees before you receive your ATAR.
- Be challenged – VCE Plus provides an academic challenge, as you're engaged in university-style teaching and learning. Completing an extension studies program can improve your study skills, which can help you to achieve your very best in VCE.
- Add value to your resume – VCE Plus is a challenging program and completing this program during your VCE is an impressive addition to your resume.
- Gain University credit towards an undergraduate degree – A pass mark in both VCE Plus subjects, together with satisfying any other pre-requisites, will place you in a strong position for an offer into the relevant La Trobe University degree. You may also be eligible for Advance Standing into the relevant degree, which means a lighter study load in your first year at University, giving you more free time to complete additional subjects or for part time work/family commitments.
* Eligibility criteria apply.
Who should apply for VCE Plus?
We're looking for students who are self-motivated and academically capable. You will also need:
- to have enrolled in at least four VCE Unit 3/4 subjects (one being English, EAL or English Language)
- to be eligible to be awarded VCE in 2018
- to have at least one VCE Unit 3/4 enrolment during the year you undertake VCE Plus.
- achieved excellent results in Year 10 or 11.
How does VCE Plus boost my ATAR?
|Average mark for VCE Plus subjects you take||VCE Plus ATAR aggregate contribution (VCE students)||Equivalent VCE study score|
|90 or more||5.0 points||50|
You must have successfully completed the pair of VCE Plus subjects to be entitled to the ATAR bonus.