Activities for your students
We can help your students learn what it's like to study at university through information sessions, campus tours, and other activities throughout the year.
Experience La Trobe
In April, June and July each year, we give students the chance to chat with La Trobe staff and students, find out all about our courses, and experience what it's like to be a uni student for a day. Plan and register for your program today.
The Open Day experience is one of the biggest factors in a student's university decision-making. It's their chance to experience the campus, meet students and staff, and get a feel for university life. Find out more about our Open Days.
Next Generation Youth Forum
The Next Generation Youth Forum gives year 10, 11 and 12 students the opportunity to participate in leadership and social justice workshops. A high-achieving peer will deliver the keynote address to inspire the next generation of leaders. Find out more about the Next Generation Youth Forum.
We can give students and parents at your school advice on:
- how to make a successful transition from secondary school to university
- university selection and admission processes
- a parent's changing role when their child enters university
- how to choose courses from a student's perspective – through presentations by our student ambassadors
- what makes La Trobe different and how students will be supported in their time here.
Tertiary Information Service (TIS)
TIS provides a relaxed setting in which your Year 12 students can get information and speak directly with university and TAFE representatives. We attend all TIS events in regional and metropolitan Victoria. Topics include:
- choosing a course
- VTAC application procedures
- differences between university, TAFE and other providers
- finance and accommodation
- transition to uni
- university selection processes
- prerequisites and extra requirements.
For more information on dates and coordinating institutions, visit the TIS website.
Work experience for students
La Trobe is one of Australia's leading teaching and research universities. Undertaking work experience at La Trobe is a great way to discover what it's like to work at a big university while simultaneously getting a taste of university life.
We offer student placements in general fields at La Trobe's Melbourne campus, so students can undertake the kind of work that most interests them:
Booking a placement is easy:
- Bookings are now open. Read and download our 2015 placement list.
- Choose a position that meets the students' interests and skills (they can choose more than one). Be sure to note any special requirements.
- Contact the Work Experience Coordinator via email email@example.com from the 9 February 2015 to verify availability and make a booking.
- Email a completed Work Experience Arrangement Form to the Work Experience Coordinator within two weeks of booking.
Once we receive the form we'll send it back to your school, confirm your booking, and send you all the information you need. Students will be paid $5 a day while they're in the placement.
- We only accept booking requests on or after 9 February 2015. All requests must be sent of or after this date.
- Students must be aged 15 and over at the time of their placement.
- La Trobe University reserves the right to terminate or withdraw a work experience placement should circumstances require.
- A member of school staff should visit each student during their placement.
Contact the Work Experience Coordinator if you have any questions:
T: 1300 135 045