What is homestay?
Homestay is a cultural exchange between a local individual or family (called a Host) and a visiting international student. The student lives as a guest in the host's family home. The homestay experience helps the student understand the culture and customs of the region in which they are studying.
Unlike many other accommodation options students don't need to pay a bond, sign a lease or search for a property themselves. Students are provided with a furnished room to study and rest in, as well as a supportive family environment and home to live in. To make the most of the experience there is a minimum stay of four weeks.
Students are required to pay a weekly fee. This weekly fee may vary depending on your level of service (e.g: how many meals your host provides you with). See a copy of the Australian Homestay Network Student Pricing.
This fee covers services such as:
- emergency telephone support
- use of the Australian Homestay Network (AHN) services and website
- student / host matching service
- furnished accommodation
- utilities (power, gas etc.)
*A$100 excess will apply for each incident giving rise to a claim
- Settle into a new culture and community with the help of fully-trained AHN hosts.
- Assistance with everyday conversational skills.
- AHN Hosts will assist you with learning basics such as buying public transport tickets, the location of local shops, how to access banking, internet, mobile phone and personal safety tips.
- Students have access to the AHN 24/7 (24 hours a day, 7 days a week) professional phone support.
- AHN contents insurance for students as per the AHN insurance policy.
How to apply
Homestay is not provided by La Trobe University but the Australian Homestay Network. (AHN) is Australia's leading homestay organisation and has set new standards in delivering successful homestay accommodation for international students commencing their studies in Australia.
AHN offers a variety of homestay options. Visit the Australian Homestay Network website for further information or call us on 1300 024 628.
Information for hosts
Vacancies for Hosts
- Do you live close to La Trobe University or near a public transport line?
- Do you have a spare room?
- Are you interested to learn about the many benefits of hosting an international student in your home?
Opportunities exist now for people wanting to learn how to host and welcome international students to La Trobe University.
Welcome to the Australian Homestay Network (AHN):
The Australian Homestay Network (AHN) is the leading Manager of Homestay placements in Australia.
Opportunities exist now for friendly individuals and families to host and share a unique cultural experience with International students.
As a host you will be fully supported and trained by AHN.
If selected you will be paid tax free expenses and provide a safe, clean and friendly place for an international student to study, rest and temporarily live in while they become accustomed to our environment and culture. The commitments lengths for hosts are negotiable however most initial placements are for four week.
AHN supports hosts with:
- Free training and ongoing support
- Appropriate contents insurances* for both Hosts and Students
- Professional 24/7 phone support including emergency and critical incident management (including emergency Interpreter** support)
- Homestay community networking opportunities
A variety of hosting options are available, visit the AHN website for further information or call us on 1300 024 628.
*A $100 excess will apply for each incident giving rise to a claim
**Interpreter assistance services are for approved emergency/medical support and not for non-essential day to day assistance.