Exchange to La Trobe
Study with us on student exchange, and travel while you get your degree. Over 400 students join us each year to study at one of our city or regional campuses.
To come to us on exchange, your home university or college must be one of our exchange partners and you must be nominated by your home university.
Before you apply
- Check you meet the English language requirements.
- Check you meet the prerequisites for your subjects by searching our subject database. Make sure you find subjects for the correct semester: Semester 1 (March–June), Semester 2 (July–November).
- Get your home university Exchange or Study Abroad coordinator to tell La Trobe Abroad about your nomination.
The majority of our subjects are offered over a semester period. A full-time load for undergraduate students for one semester is between 45 and 60 credit points (60 being the standard load). If your home institution requires you to do more than our full time load in order for you to keep up with your degree, we can arrange permission for you to overload to a maximum of 75 credit points.
- Go to the online exchange application. (If you need help, ask you exchange or study abroad coordinator for a user guide.)
- Register for a User Name and password
- Lodge your application with all supporting documents:
- One academic reference form
- A personal statement: one page about why you would like to study on exchange at La Trobe.
- An official academic transcript from your home university (if it isn't in English, submit an English translation).
- If you're from a non-English speaking country: evidence that you meet the English language requirements.
- For Semester 1 (February - June): 15 October (previous year)
- For Semester 2 (July - November): 31 March (of the same year)
The faculty department is responsible for your course review and approving student exchange applications. This may take some time, but if you have any questions contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Depending on the success of your application, you will either receive a Letter of Offer or a Letter of Offer with conditions. For example, you may be asked to choose another unit, or do an English language unit. We will send you Offer Acceptance Forms including information on Overseas Student Health Cover.
After you have returned your forms to us, we will give you an electronic confirmation of enrolment (eCOE) and you can then apply for a student visa. We will also send you a My Life at La Trobe Guide [PDF 2.69MB] with information on our airport transfers, student accommodation and more.
Costs and scholarships
As an exchange student, you won't pay any tuition fees to us. These are covered by the fees you already pay to your home university or college. You will need to cover other study and living costs while you are in Australia.
We offer a limited number of scholarships for exchange students. Eligible students will be contacted by the La Trobe Abroad team.