NEUROPSYCHOLOGICAL RECOVERY, REHABILITATION AND MANAGEMENT
Credit points: 15
This subject will address theories of recovery of function following brain injury or degeneration, and the concepts of neuropsychological impairment, disability and handicap will be introduced. This will lead into a related topic of assessment of decision-making capacity which is a core area of clinical practice for neuropsychologists. Approaches to rehabilitation of cognitive, behavioural and psychosocial changes resulting from neuropsychological disorder will be appraised and the evidence of the effectiveness of interventions and the importance of interdisciplinary teamwork will be reviewed. Management of chronic and degenerative neuropsychological conditions will be explored.
SchoolSchool of Psychology & Public Health
Subject Co-ordinatorDana Wong
Available to Study Abroad StudentsNo
Subject year levelYear Level 5 - Masters
Prerequisites Successful completion of first year Masters in Clinical Neuropsychology Coursework
Graduate capabilities & intended learning outcomes
01. Demonstrate an understanding of the models of neuropsychological recovery and adaptation
- Lecture presentations and reading; act as class discussant for lecture material
02. Develop skill in the process of assessing decision-making capacity in people who have neuropsychological impairment or disability.
- Active participation in lecture presentations and class exercises; Case Analyses of decision-making assessments
04. Develop knowledge and ability to research the empirical literature to develop evidence-based plans for interventions and management of acquired neuropsychological impairments
- Class presentations on selected topics in lectures/tutorials and written reports on evidence-based neuropsychological interventions or management.
Select to view your study options…
Melbourne, 2018, Semester 2, Day
Maximum enrolment sizeN/A
Subject Instance Co-ordinatorDana Wong
One 3.0 hours seminar per week on weekdays during the day from week 31 to week 43 and delivered via face-to-face.
|Discussion following selected lectures||5||01, 02|
|One class presentation||On a selected topic related to neuropsychological rehabilitation or management||25||01, 02|
|One 1-hour group powerpoint presentation on a group project||10||04|
|One 3000 word written critical review of a selected neuropsychological intervention||60||04|