MUSCULOSKELETAL BASIS OF FOOT AND LOWER LIMB PATHOLOGY
Credit points: 15
In this subject students build on their understanding of the anatomy, pathophysiology and biomechanics of the musculoskeletal system, to explore a range of musculoskeletal pathologies using authentic clinical cases. Students consider the elements of assessment, diagnosis and management of common lower limb musculoskeletal pathologies in the context of evidence-based practice.
SchoolSchool of Allied Health
Subject Co-ordinatorShannon Munteanu
Available to Study Abroad StudentsNo
Subject year levelYear Level 5 - Masters
Prerequisites Must have passed all subjects from (HBS2ALF or equivalent, HBS2PAT or equivalent, POD4PAM, POD4CBP). Must be enrolled in one of the following courses:HZHPOD,HZHPDB,HZHPDM,HZHPDS,HZHPDW - Bachelor of Health Sciences and Master of Podiatric Practice, or HZLLPP - Bachelor of Applied Science and Master of Podiatric Practice, or HMPOD, HMPODB - Master of Podiatric Practice.
|Resource Type||Title||Resource Requirement||Author and Year||Publisher|
|Readings||Clinical sports medicine||Prescribed||Brukner,P and Khan,K 2012||4TH EDN, NORTH RYDE, NSW: MCGRAW-HILL,|
|Readings||Foot problems in older people: assessment and management||Prescribed||Menz, Hylton B 2008||CHURCHILL LIVINGSTONE/ELSEVIER, EDINBURGH, NEW YORK|
|Readings||Merriman's assessment of the lower limb||Prescribed||Yates, B 2009||3RD EDN, CHURCHILL LIVINGSTONE/ELSEVIER, EDINBURGH, NEW YORK|
|Readings||Neuromusculoskeletal examination and assessment: a handbook for therapists||Recommended||Petty, NJ 2011||CHURCHILL LIVINGSTONE/ELSEVIER, EDINBURGH, NEW YORK|
Graduate capabilities & intended learning outcomes
01. Individually and as a team, use an evidence based approach to determine and describe aetiological factors for lower limb injuries seen in podiatric practice.You will be able to: (a) List common musculoskeletal pathologies of the lower limb seen in podiatric practice. (b) Describe the tissues(s) involved in such pathology. (c) Describe the pathological processes that are involved in a range of common musculoskeletal disorders of the lower limb.
- Online quiz, Online team presentation
02. Independently diagnose common lower limb musculoskeletal conditions and use an evidence based approach to justify the diagnosis.You will be able to: (a)Conduct physical examination to identify the likely tissue(s) causing symptoms in a person with lower limb musculoskeletal pathology.(b) Identify a client's physical and psychological status relative to their musculoskeletal pathology. (c) Appropriately refer for and interpret laboratory tests (including diagnostic imaging and pathology tests). (d) Liaise and refer to other health-care professionals as required. (e) Use clinical reasoning and decision-making skills in a simulated practice setting to arrive at an accurate diagnosis for a given case.
- Practical examination, Online quiz.
03. Use an evidence based approach and communicate effectively with other professionals and clients to manage common lower limb musculoskeletal pathologies seen in podiatric practice.You will be able to: (a) Prescribe and implement intervention programs (e.g. physical therapy, mechanical therapy, pharmacological intervention, or educational programs). (b) Critique and apply evidence for the selection and implementation of podiatric interventions. (c) Implement validated outcome assessment to understand the health status of clients. (d) Liaise and refer to other health-care professionals as required. (e) Reflect upon client outcomes, reviewing assessment, management and adapting if necessary.
- Team presentation (scenarios from previous enquiries), Web CT quiz, Written assignment.
Select to view your study options…
Melbourne, 2018, Semester 2, Blended
Maximum enrolment sizeN/A
Subject Instance Co-ordinatorShannon Munteanu
One 2.0 hours workshop per week on weekdays during the day from week 31 to week 43 and delivered via face-to-face.
One 1.0 hours lecture per week on weekdays during the day from week 31 to week 43 and delivered via online.
|one 1,500-word written assignment||30||03|
|one 10-minute team presentation (equiv to 200 words each student)submitted online||10||01|
|one 15-minute practical examination (equivalent to 1,500 words)||30||02|
|three 20-minute online multiple choice examinations (equivalent to 1,000 words)||30||02, 03, 01|