ART THERAPY LITERATURE REVIEW
Credit points: 15
In this subject you will examine, discuss and critique the literature from art therapy, psychology and research methods as it relates to art therapy practice and the Final Project undertaken in Semester 2 (PHE5AFP). Diverse research methodologies will be presented within the context of the relevant epistemological frameworks. You will strengthen your critical appraisal skills as you analyse texts for quality, strengths and weaknesses. In particular, you will focus on the literature from art therapy related to your Masters year placement.
SchoolSchool of Psychology & Public Health
Subject Co-ordinatorPatricia Fenner
Available to Study Abroad StudentsNo
Subject year levelYear Level 5 - Masters
Prerequisites Must be admitted in HMART - Master of Art Therapy.
|Resource Type||Title||Resource Requirement||Author and Year||Publisher|
|Readings||Art therapy, research and evidence based practice||Prescribed||Gilroy, A. (2006)||LONDON: SAGE|
|Readings||Art, science and art therapy||Recommended||Kaplan, F. (2000)||LONDON: JESSICA KINGSLEY|
|Readings||Art-based research||Recommended||McNiff, S. (1999)||LONDON:JESSICA KINGSLEY|
|Readings||Arts therapies: A research-based map of the field||Recommended||Karkou, V. & Sanderson, P. (2006)||EDINBURGH: ELSEVIER CHRUCHILL LIVINGSTONE.|
|Readings||Introduction to art therapy research||Recommended||Kapitan, L. (Ed)||NY & LONDON: ROUTLEDGE.|
|Readings||Knowing differently: Arts-based and collaborative research methods||Recommended||Liamputtong, P. & Rumbold, J. (Eds) (2008)||NY: NOVA SCIENCE.|
|Readings||Method meets art: Arts-based research practice||Recommended||Leavy, P. (2008)||NY: GUILDFORD PRESS.|
Graduate capabilities & intended learning outcomes
01. Critically review relevant theory and practice models with an awareness of their theoretical frameworks, methodological orientation and argue their respective strengths and shortcomings.
- Analyse set theory and practice models and other relevant professional literature for theoretical assumptions, methodologies and rigour.
02. Discern researcher bias and relevance of a text to art therapy practice.
- Critically evaluate texts for bias, relevance and practical applicability.
03. Analyse a piece of research for its overall quality and contribution to an evidence base.
- Analyse an article and apply an art therapy specific critical appraisal tool.
04. Structure a critical review of the literature
- Identify and research an area of interest related to practice at clinical placement to form the basis for the literature review.
05. Initiate investigation of how an art therapy program could be developed for a specific clinical setting and population including resourcing, and evaluation methods.
- Research clinical applications of art therapy for a specific population and sketch a plan for a program proposal.
Select to view your study options…
Melbourne, 2018, Semester 1, Blended
Maximum enrolment sizeN/A
Subject Instance Co-ordinatorPatricia Fenner
One 2.0 hours lecture per week from week 10 to week 22 and delivered via face-to-face.
|First phase review of the literature 2500 word equivalent||50||01, 02, 03, 04, 05|
|Second phase review of the literature 2500 word equivalent||50||01, 02, 03, 04, 05|