FOUNDATIONS OF ART THERAPY A
Credit points: 15
In this subject you will be introduced to the diversity of theoretical approaches which constitute and differentiate the practice of art therapy. The practice of art therapy draws on theory from the domains of psychology and creativity. In this subject, you investigate the main psychological theories which have played a role and those in popular contemporary use. This overview locates the humanistic art therapy approach at La Trobe University in context. The theoretical constructs introduced within the subject are counterbalanced with an experiential understanding of art therapy process through personal art making.
SchoolSchool of Psychology & Public Health
Subject Co-ordinatorPatricia Fenner
Available to Study Abroad StudentsNo
Subject year levelYear Level 4 - UG/Hons/1st Yr PG
Prerequisites Must be enrolled in HMART - Master of Art Therapy.
|Resource Type||Title||Resource Requirement||Author and Year||Publisher|
|Readings||Approaches to art therapy: Theory and technique. 3rd Edn.||Recommended||Rubin, J.A. 2016||Taylor & Francis|
|Readings||Art as a way of knowing||Recommended||Allen, P.B. 1995||BOSTON: SHAMBALA.|
|Readings||Handbook of Art Therapy||Recommended||Malchiodi, C. 2012||NY: GUILDFORD PRESS.|
|Readings||The arts therapies: a revolution in healthcare||Recommended||Jones, P 2005||HOVE & NEW YORK: BRUNNER ROUTLEDGE.|
Graduate capabilities & intended learning outcomes
01. Identify, and analyse relevant underpinning psychological theories and models in the development and practice of art therapy
- Lectures, class activities
02. Express and appropriately present complex personal material to others through art making demonstrating boundary awareness
- Homework art making task and presentation to class
03. Analyse and critique psychological theories relevant to applications in art therapy practice with diverse clinical populations
- Lectures, class group work
04. Discern and articulate advanced level interpersonal skills, most particularly empathetic listening and observation
- Class small group work, whole class art activities
Select to view your study options…
Melbourne, 2018, Week 08-09, Day
Maximum enrolment sizeN/A
Subject Instance Co-ordinatorPatricia Fenner
Five 7.0 hours block mode per study period from week 08 to week 09 and delivered via face-to-face.
"Block mode teaching over 5 full days: Full time stream dates: 15, 16, 17, 23, 24 February; Part time stream 13, 14, 20, 21, 22 February"
|3,500-word paper||60||01, 02, 03|
|1000 word reflective paper||This paper accompanies a the creative art making task of the 'self box' and class presentation of this work.||40||01, 02, 04|