DEVELOPING MATHEMATICAL THINKING
Credit points: 15
In this subject students explore how we learn mathematics including the development of understanding and confidence, connection between concepts, ability to choose procedures and use the familiar to the develop new ideas, problem solving and reasoning. They become familiar with current theories, pedagogy and curriculum and the range of teaching strategies, guides and equipment that support the development of mathematical thinking. ICT and other technology skills associated with accessing, processing and communicating in a blended learning environment are embedded within the course and utilised in assessment tasks.
SchoolSchool of Education
Subject Co-ordinatorPeter Sanders
Available to Study Abroad StudentsYes
Subject year levelYear Level 3 - UG
Prerequisites EDU2SOM or co-ordinator's approval
Graduate capabilities & intended learning outcomes
01. Develop a pedagogical philosophy demonstrating appreciation of the role of research, additional resources and prior experience in supporting teaching.
02. Demonstrate appropriate skills in written communication in the context of mathematics.
03. Analyse and explain how to identify the prior knowledge learning strengths and weaknesses of students and other factors that impact on their ability to think mathematically.
04. Demonstrate an understanding of the resources, strategies, processes and skills required to advise and teach maths to enhance mathematical thinking and learning.
05. Demonstrate an understanding of the teacher skills required to motivate and support Primary school students in their mathematical learning.
Select to view your study options…
Melbourne, 2018, Semester 1, Day
Maximum enrolment sizeN/A
Subject Instance Co-ordinatorPeter Sanders
One 1.0 hours lecture per week on weekdays during the day from week 10 to week 22 and delivered via face-to-face.
One 2.0 hours tutorial per week on weekdays during the day from week 10 to week 22 and delivered via face-to-face.
|one case study where an individualised learning plan and class lesson plan is developed (2500 words)||60||03, 04, 05|
|one essay (1500 words)||40||01, 02|