Not currently offered
Credit points: 15
This subject explores the communication network quality of service, label switching in Ipv4 and Ipv6, data traffic engineering, and protocols for real-time applications. It has a strong emphasis on OSI application layer protocols such as HTTP, FTP and DNS. The standard OSI directory services such as LDAP and basic encoding rules with some network troubleshooting approaches are also covered.
SchoolSchool Engineering&Mathematical Sciences
Subject Co-ordinatorNaveen Chilamkurti
Available to Study Abroad StudentsYes
Subject year levelYear Level 5 - Masters
Graduate capabilities & intended learning outcomes
01. Analyze existing network Quality of Service (QoS) standards in communication networks and describe how they function in current communication protocols
- One lecture (2hrs) will be dedicated to discussing Quality of Service (QoS) standards in communication networks. This will be followed by lab work on QoS and then an assessment in week 6, which is an on-line test.
02. Articulate and discuss the OSI network standard encoding and directory services
- OSI network directory services such as LDAP will be discussed in depth during the lectures and will be followed by practical labs. These concepts will be assessed in lab test which will be conducted during week 6.
03. Describe the structure and function of major application layer protocols in the network stack
- Major application protocols such as HTTP, FTP and SNMP protocols will be outlined during lectures and will be implemented during practical lab work. These concepts will be assessed during final exam.
04. Analyze network troubleshooting approaches and describe their pros and cons
- Two lectures will be dedicated to teaching how network troubleshooting can be performed using various software tools and will be tested during practical classes in the lab. These concepts will be tested in on-line test 2, which will be conducted during week 11.
Select to view your study options…