Learning Management System (LMS)
La Trobe's Learning Management System (LMS) is Moodle. This system may be referred to as the 'LMS' or as 'Moodle' - it is the same system.
The LMS is an online learning environment that allows you to locate learning materials and activities related to your studies from any location with internet access.
Accessing the LMS
All authorised student users have been issued with a Username and Password. These are the same as the Username and Password for accessing your University email account.
If you have forgotten your password please contact Student IT Support.
Go to the LMS log in page and login using your student username and password. Once you have logged in a list of your available LMS subjects will be shown.
Note: it can take up to 48 hours after enrolment for subjects to become available in the LMS. See Troubleshooting for details.
The LMS on mobile devices
The LMS now features a mobile theme that will display if the LMS is accessed via a mobile device. While the mobile theme will allow you to view LMS content (including Echo360 recordings), it should not be used to attempt any assessment (submitting assignments and attempting quizzes). Assessment items should only be accessed when using the LMS via a desktop or laptop computer with a supported browser (see list of supported browsers at the bottom of this page).
Your Profile Photo in the LMS
Your official La Trobe student ID photo has been loaded into the LMS. If you have already uploaded your own photo to the LMS, it will have been overwritten with the official La Trobe student ID photo. By default, your photo will be visible only to you and to the lecturers and tutors of your subjects. You will have the option of making your photo public and replacing it should you wish to do so. You can do this from the Edit Profile setting in the Settings block.
Why can't I log in?
There could be many reasons but the most probable reason is that you have simply forgotten your password, are trying the wrong password or are entering your password incorrectly. Some other things to think about include:
- Does your username or password contain a mixture of upper and lower case letters? It should be entered exactly
- Check that your Caps Lock is turned off
- Check your Statement of Account to ensure that you are correctly enrolled in at least one subject
- Confirm your username and password. You can get help with resetting your password on our Reset Password page
- Confirm that your lecturer intends you to use this system. Not all subjects use the LMS. Even if you have used this system in the past, your lecturer this year may employ other mechanisms
Contact Student IT Support for more assistance.
Why can't I see my subjects?
It can take up to 48 hours after enrolment for subjects to become available in the LMS. If you can not see your subject in the LMS;
- Log into StudentOnLine and confirm you are enrolled in the subject
- Wait 48 hours after enrolling
- Contact Ask La Trobe for assistance if your subject has not appeared after 48 hours
To use the LMS, you will need:
- A La Trobe University username and password.
- A computer or tablet with internet access:
- On campus, you can connect to the internet from your own computer and/or any computer laboratory, the Library etc. If you have a wireless enabled laptop or tablet you can connect to any of the wireless access points on the campus
- Off campus, you should connect to the internet via a subscription to an Internet Service Provider
- A supported web browser. Browsers that are compatible with the LMS are:
- MS Internet Explorer 8 for PCs*
- Firefox 27 or later for Macs*
- Firefox 27 or later for PCs*
- Safari 5 or later for Macs
- Google Chrome 11 or later
- Opera 9 or later
*Please note: Support from Student IT Support is provided only for these La Trobe University supported browsers.
Assistance with the LMS
For academic assistance (for example if you have a question about your subject or an assignment) you should contact your lecturer or tutor.
If you require assistance using the LMS, check the student guides available on the Student Help LMS subject. (You will be required to login using your La Trobe student username and password.) Alternatively, you may also contact Student IT Support if you're having difficulty with something in LMS, for instance if you're trying to upload an assignment.