Apply for a short overseas program
Before you apply
- Prepare to apply at least 6 months before the program starts. Visit the Global Lounge to chat to us and have your questions about the programs answered.
- See our list of programs and contact the partner/host of program to begin the process.
- Follow the steps below to complete the Overseas Short Program Form and associated requirements.
- Take note of the forms you will need to apply at the bottom of this section.
*Programs to ‘Shanghai International Studies University’ are no longer approved for credit or mobility grants as per advice from the ASSC college.
Step 1 – Online Credit Approval - SOMSAS
- Login to SOMSAS using Mozilla Firefox as your internet browser to complete your Short Program credit approval application. Ensure that you have the program description/syllabus with you so you can upload a copy to your application. If you are not on campus, type “students\” before your ID number and then your normal password to log into SOMSAS.
- Check out these handy guides below to help you through the SOMSAS process or see our SOMSAS Student FAQs [361 KB] for any questions:
- SOMSAS Quick Reference Guide: Overseas Short Programs [PDF 663 KB].
- SOMSAS Student User Manual: Overseas Short Term Programs [PDF 923 KB].
- You will receive an email to your La Trobe student email account once your Short Program credit approval application has been finalised by your College
- Once approved, press ‘Generate Credit Equivalence Report’ and include the printout in your application documents
- Please complete your Short Program credit approval application in SOMSAS at least 8-12 weeks before the commencement of the program.
NOTE (For pre-planning your subjects):
- If you require clarification about your degree structure and subject requirements, please see the ASSC or SHE College Client Services representative in the Library via the ASK La Trobe counter.
- Law students: Can only do electives as part of your Exchange program.
- Health Science students: Please make an appointment to speak with your Course/ Discipline Coordinator about which subjects you can take overseas. Find your Course/Discipline Coordinator by searching your course in the current Handbook.
- Japanese major programs - students must map out their degree structure with their college client services and see Dr. Elise Foxworth to discuss their study options prior to application.
- Psychology students: Please refer to the 2017 Psychology Study Overseas Guide [343 KB]
Please Note, if you need to follow up on the status of your SOMSAS application, please submit a question through Ask La Trobe online with all the necessary details.
Step 2 - Confirmation of Participation in Short Program
Register/confirm your participation in the short program directly with the program provider
Step 3 – Online OSP Application
Once you have received approval for your SOMSAS application, begin your La Trobe Abroad Online OSP Application
You will need to login with your La Trobe University Student Login if you are not accessing the application portal from campus.
You will need to fill in:
- Program Details
- Personal Details
- Bank Details
You will then need to attach your OSP Supporting Documents to the online application portal, which can be found in the next step.
Step 4 – OSP Supporting Documents
Please read the cover page of the OSP Supporting Documents [PDF 167KB] carefully, as it details exactly what you need to include in your online submission
Online Pre-Departure Module:
All students going on an overseas program for the first time need to complete the online pre-departure module via LMS.
You can access the module here - Online Pre-Departure module via LMS (use your standard La Trobe student ID login).
Please note: You need to access the module from the direct link above, you can’t search for it on LMS
Once completed, download the completion postcard and attach to your OSP form.
As of the 1 January 2017 all undergraduate and postgraduate students are covered automatically under the University's travel insurance for an international La Trobe Activity (overseas short program) approved by LTU and once all forms are completed and acknowledged by La Trobe Abroad.
We recommend you take the following information with you in case you need assistance overseas: You can contact the Customer Care 24 hours a day by the reverse charge telephone no. +61 2 9929 2216 quoting Chubb Insurance Company of Australia Limited Policy No. 9313 1586 for UG and Policy No. 9310 1253 for PG.
If you require an insurance certificate, you will need to advise the Insurance Office by submitting a request through the form below. This request will be automatically sent to the University’s Insurance Office and you will be receiving a Certificate within two weeks of your request.
Please be aware that you will still need to purchase insurance if you are traveling for more than 10 business days either side of the program on personal travel.
Please note, limited cover applies to students travelling to their country of residence see Travel to Country of Residence Policy [371 KB].
The summary of the insurance policy is available.
Apply for a copy of your insurance certificate (if necessary):
Step 5 – Application Submission
When you have completed all parts of your OSP application, please submit them online via the La Trobe Abroad Online OSP Application to be considered for a mobility grant or alternate scholarship.
This must be completed at least 4 weeks prior to your intended program dates.
Please note: as payments can take a few weeks to be processed, late applications may not receive any grant/scholarship funds in time for the program.
Step 6 – Application Outcome
La Trobe Abroad will inform you of your application outcome, whether it has been successfully received and processed or there are missing parts.
- OSP Supporting Documents [PDF 167KB]
- SOMSAS Quick Reference Guide: Overseas Short Programs [PDF 663 KB].
- SOMSAS Student User Manual: Overseas Short Term Programs [PDF 923 KB]
- Risk Assessment Checklist [PDF 35KB] - only for students going to "Reconsider your need to travel (Level 3)" destinations - please refer to the Smartraveller website; destinations deemed as "Do not travel" (Level 4) will not be approved.
- Application for Letter to Centrelink (online form, if applicable, i.e. you have an arrangement with Centrelink)
- STP Pre-Departure Guide [PDF 605KB]
- Advanced Standing Form [PDF 72KB].
- OSP Supporting Documents [167KB]
After you apply
Ensure that you keep a copy of all documents submitted for your own record.
If you miss any of the steps above and don't submit all the required documentation, you will not be eligible to receive a mobility grant/scholarship and receive credit towards your La Trobe degree.
Applications for a volunteering program not receiving academic credit will be reviewed for eligibility on a case-by-case basis subject to funding availability.
If you need to contact the College Student Administration, please use the ASK La Trobe system and include as much information as possible in your query.
When you return
When you have finished your overseas short program, the host institution will usually send an official academic transcript or completion certificate to you. You will need to take your overseas transcript to ASK La Trobe with a copy of the Advanced Standing Form [PDF 72KB] to have your credits transferred.
La Trobe Abroad would like to receive your feedback about the program.
This feedback will help identify what students look for in an overseas short program and how La Trobe Abroad can improve services in the hope of providing more opportunities, to more students.
The basic survey should only take a couple of minutes to complete, however if you would like to provide some more detailed responses within the survey, it would be very much appreciated.
Feedback Survey Link